**UPDATE**Chick with wing ripped off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cock-a-Doodle-Do Farm, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Cock-a-Doodle-Do Farm

Cock-a-Doodle-Do Farm Hatching

May 18, 2009
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to let you all know that my baby who's wing was virtually torn off seems to be making a great recovery. The skin that didn't seem to exist has now covered most of the exposed bone. She has had a big appetite throughout this ordeal which is a good thing.Little Layla is quite the trooper! Did I also mention that she's my runt which is causing a bit of difficulty right now trying to put her back with chicks her age that are twice as big and fully feathered. She hangs out in the garden with me most of the day and then I still keep her seperate at night. I don't know if she'll ever catch up to the others. She's a month old now and still only has wing feathers with a few others coming in on the side of her chest. Anyone ever had one like this that grew up eventually? Thanks again to all who posted the great advice to my original post [​IMG]

2. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    So glad to hear she is doing well, glad she has you to look over her. Don't have any answers for you but just happy to hear she is doing better.

[​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Feed her lots of protein-rich food. She's not growing feathers because she's too busy growing skin. She'll probably be just fine once she heals the wound.
    I'm glad to hear she's doing well. Sounds like you have a new favorite friend.[​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Oh, cool! Thanks for the update! I hope she doesn't grow up to be a flyer - she'll just be able to fly in circles. HEHE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: