Update... Chicken Little my CX

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mccaff mama hen, Aug 3, 2010.

1. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I had just posted about CL turning 11 months and being so healthy. Now I just don't know. With the terrible heat and humidity we have had this summer, CL stopped laying about a month ago. Last week we had a break in the temperatures, I wondered if she would lay again. I noticed yesterday she was straining and her vent enlarged. I brought her inside, gave her a long bath (which I think she liked) and hoped it would help things move along. Well, it didn't. So I did it again last night because she just continued to strain and started to have some blood, while she was in the tub I tried to see if I could feel an egg, but I couldn't. This morning, she has still not passed an egg, has passed very little poop and more blood. At 11 I'm taking her to our country vet, hoping he can save her, but realize it might not be possible. I won't let her suffer. I know she shouldn't have made it this long and we have been lucky to have her. It will just be hard for my son, he LOVES her. Please keep your fingers crossed or prayers going to hope for the best. Thanks for everyones encouragement on my previous posts about her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44723_img00024-20100802-1553_2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    [​IMG] Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I've actually thought about you a lot with this heat. My CX rooster is doing just fine with all this heat, but he's younger....about 4 months old. Good luck at the vet's office.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am sorry to hear about your girl ..

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

@mccaff mama hen... praying !

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    mmaddie's mom :

@mccaff mama hen... praying !

@coopcrazy... you should have stopped after your first line... now is not the time.​

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I will be praying hard for Chicken Little Mama Hen. [​IMG]

7. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    We have finally returned home.Thanks you for the support.

I feel fortunate that I live in a small town, our vet visits farms and sees it all. Until now we only saw him with our dogs, he got a big laugh out of this one. Well, I was totally wrong. I thought she was egg bound, she is not. She came down with Cocci really fast and bad. He thinks she will be fine with the medication, but it was a good thing I took her in. I was shocked, until a couple of days ago I had only her and my EE in a 12x 6 run and just added 3 BO and 2 silkies. The addition must have been too much for her system to handle all at once. My DH and I have been at odds about putting down sand in the run. With this happening, I get my sand so it's easier to drain and rake. For the time being, she's in the house resting. Everyone there thought she was so sweet and of course BIG.

I know there has and will always be controversy about these chickens, but I would like to say a couple of things. I DID NOT get a CX on purpose. I didn't know what she was until she was about 6 months old. I'm from the city and knew nothing about chickens (and still don't really). However, one thing I have learned since visiting this site, there are no guarantees with any chickens of any type. There will always be the potential of a predator attack, sore crop, mites, worms, frostbite, egg bound issues and cocci with any chicken. True some may be more prone to troubles than others, but you never know how long you will have them, how attached your family members will get before you lost them for some reason. I prepared my son this spring for the time it would be cruel to keep her alive and a couple weeks later my daughters chicken was taken by a hawk. We talked about it on the way to the vets, but he is relieved she's fine for now.

The vet did say other than what she has now. She's not as big as I thought she was on the scale, she's only 13 lbs. He thinks her legs, joints and overall structure look great. She doesn't appear to have anything wrong with her otherwise. If she gets over this, he said, there's no reason she would be suffering.

Anyway, thanks for all your support. I hope the medicine will do it's job fast.
    Melissa

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad for the good news... answer to prayers!

Keep us updated as to her recovery.

9. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good news. [​IMG] Its good you have a chicken vet close by. Good luck!

Keep learning about chickens [​IMG]

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I [​IMG] Happy endings. These are great life lessons for the kids. Glad to hear your able to use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by