[Update] Cockrels or Pullets - Ameraucana, Araucana, Copper Marans, and Light Sussex

taz982

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Well someone suggested I wait to see some more development in the chickens, particularly for crowing and feather development. Well I've heard a lot of noises from the chickens but I have yet to hear anything I would associate with a crow. So I thought I'd see what sex you all feel they are now. I numbered them the same as I did last time. I really appreciated all the help from last time. Its been crazy to look at the photographic evidence of their changes in only a month!

Extra credit question: If anyone has any tips on introducing them to free ranging that would be helpful. What I have done so far is let a few out so they don't feel safe going too far away, and when I let a number out I put water and food in the caged area when I want them to go back inside. They really seem to like being able to run around outside their enclosure (Although I may be anthropomorphizing a bit much here).

So yeah, please let me know what you feel for each of the chickens. Definitely a pullet, definitely a cockrel, or not really sure! This has been helpful as I try to decipher the points to look for in the chickens.

17 week old album: http://imgur.com/a/4R7N5

taz

the two sussexs are roos and I think I see saddle feathers on Number3 your splash ameraucana but I had 6 black ameraucana pullets that were 5 months at 6 months I had 5 pullets and 1 roo (got saddles and all really late)

Last edited:
@allmychickens I like your predictions the best lol. I can hope that you're right! Sadly it seems you're in the minority. But I'll wait it out. At least for #1, #2 will probably find a new home/coq au vin.

@donrae @ramirezframing OI! Still the same disagreement between #3 and #5.

Anyone know to what age I should wait until making coq au vin? I need to reduce the number anyway for the hen house is too small for all 9 when they are full grown.

this is one you can see his saddles
xNlaZh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom