Update cured wry neck with 9 days Vit E deficiency. Difficult to administer!!

Cuween

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2022
After 9 days of treating wry neck hen with Vit E deficiency, in the house, she was cured and is now reintegrated in flock. You loosely hold neck to get Vit E into chicken. Very difficult first several days as chicken writhing like wet snake in seizure like movements. I kept her head off the floor by putting her in a box that just fit her, with rags packed in front of her head. Do NOT splint neck which can damage her neck

After 9 days of treating wry neck hen with Vit E deficiency, in the house, she was cured and is now reintegrated in flock. You loosely hold neck to get Vit E into chicken. Very difficult first several days as chicken writhing like wet snake in seizure like movements. I kept her head off the floor by putting her in a box that just fit her, with rags packed in front of her head. Do NOT splint neck which can damage her neck
How much Vitamin E did you give her and where did you get the Vitamin E from, capsules?

Vit E gel capsules, cut tip off, squeeze into side of beak. I used Spring Valley brand, 180mg equivalent to 400 IU which is correct dose.

Then you have to use Selenium and easiest way to give that is raw egg yolk beaten up and dribbled on the beak -side of beak -with an eye dropper.

Do NOT try to put either directly down the throat. The chicken gyrates so much, there’s too much risk of it going down the wrong way and the chicken aspirating.

I just now had the same thing happen with a couple goslings. At 2 weeks one started exhibiting sign. In my research, I read that it is a niacin difficiency. I put 1/4 cup molasses in a 5 gallon watered. I also gave them alfalfa sprouts, grass clippings and I am now fermenting their feed. On the second day of treating all of them, another gosling started to show signs of wry neck. 2 days later, all symptoms are gone, no muss, no fuss and they love their treats.

Back
Top Bottom