**UPDATE**Day 19 I have a pip...... ON THE WRONG END !!!!????!!!???

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Well it's day 19 of my hatch and I have my first pip (wooo-hoooo) the problem is it's on the wrong end of the egg
barnie.gif
!!!! Should I leave it alone ? Or should I give it an air hole ? ? What causes this to happen ?? Will they all have this problem ??? thanks for the help... Just when you thought everything was going good this kind of stuff happens
he.gif

Last edited:
My last hatch did that on some of the eggs. In my case, I believe it's because my hens' bodies were depleted due to trying to grow feathers back during the molt. I did find something online that said it can be due to humidity being too high and the aircell not being large enough, so they get disoriented and pip on the wrong end. A couple of mine did require some help due to that end being too cramped to manuever. The did pip okay, though. If it's pipped, it's already most likely breathing in an air pocket anyway. Are these your birds? If so, you may need to up their nutrition. Layer feed is not always adequate feed for breeders and optimal hatchability of the eggs.

Last edited:
We have had this problem several times. Lost quite a few too. After losing several over time, we started picking at shell just to give a small air hole for breathing. Since we started doing this, we haven't lost any that want to be stubborn and come out the wrong end. Good luck. Air hole just big enough for breathing.

Quote:
The humidity was 30-35 day 1-18, And yes they are my silkies !!! When I candled them they all looked great and had great air cells !!!! As far as feed goes I feed layer pellets and cracked corn, What is better for breeding ??? My last hatch had no problem coming out the right side !!! When should I start to help, day 19 seems to early !!!

Quote:
When did you start to make an air hole for them ? Is day 19 to early ??

That humidity isn't a problem, but I keep mine between 40 and 50 the first 18 days then raise it to 65-70% the last three. I know my issue had to be their molt/nutritional needs since most chicks hatch clean and with basically no cleanup, no rough navels, etc. So my humidity was good. Some feed lines have breeder crumble/pellets. Southern States has Super Breeder Crumbles, for instance. I currently use Game Bird Breeder Crumble from Purina's line, 20% protein, made just for hatching chicks. My Blue Orps are molting, but still laying and I'd never had an issue like this before, except once. My Barred Rock hen, Lexie, was naked from molting for literally months AND still laying almost the entire time. It was during that time that her usually very vigorous chicks weren't hatching that well. Dont help till they've pipped the shell and been at it for a good long time and it's clear they will not be able to make it out. It could be Day 22 even. Just let them try to get out on their own. No, I would NOT help on Day 19! You're asking for trouble if you do that, trust me.

Last edited:
Quote:
hmmm.... very odd !!!! I'm glad you figured out why with your hens !!!! I wanted to try keeping the humidity lower this time, i think i drowned a few in my last hatch so I figure people have great hatch rates dry incubating !!!! Do you think if one egg pips like that they all will ??? So they can breath through the shell and the liner once they pip it ?? Should I be worried about the chick drowning in the shell ?? Thanks !!!

ohhh and... might it hatch by itself ???

Last edited:
They can hatch from pipping on the wrong end, but they can also drown. If they pipped and broke the membrane, they can breathe, but if they dont get through the shell in quick time, they can drown. And in my hatch, three out of maybe 2 dozen pipped like that, so they probably wont all do it. Honestly, you can do more harm by helping than by leaving it alone. You may lose one, but you can lose one even if you help. You cant see when the blood vessels have retracted fully so the chick can bleed out if you go too far too fast. Helping is quite tricky.

Last edited:
Quote:
got yah !!!! No it didn't pip all the way through the membrane.... just a X pip so far, so should i pip the membrane for it so it can breath ? or still to early ???

Back
Top Bottom