UPDATE: Does Mareks diagnosis mean end of raising chickens? (Post 22: The remaining hens are ok!)

happima

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Just informed that preliminary results show my 5 week chick died of Mareks.

Was instructed to clean, close flock, take care of existing three chickens until they die. After that not to introduce any new chickens to
property for two years.

Jumped into this chicken raising thing head first not realizing I was about to crash into concrete.

Feeling heartbroken.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was that long of a wait. This is if it were "ME". I would put down the other three and start cleaning the coops/runs now. I would clean with Oxine and Bleach. You'll have to wait on others for how long to wait.

You can have chicks vaccinated for marek's at birth. The vaccine only hides the symptoms/illness it does not keep them from getting the actual disease.

I'm so sorry.

I agree that this needs some research. I was just reading on another thread about vaccinating new arrivals and allowing the disease to die out over a few years. I don't even remember whether they talked about killing the current flock, and I don't personally know anywhere near enough to advise. Marek's is tragic, as are a number of other chicken diseases, but I'd sure look into this further.

All chickens are exposed to Mareks at some point in their lives. The weaker ones die of it. If they all die, get some new ones that won't. I had a chicken who came down with Marek's and she died, but my other 20 birds showed no signs. If your whole flock dies of Mareks, start getting chickens from somewhere else, it is likely in that situation that whomever you got those chickens from is inbreeding them way too much and basically trading the overall health of the offspring for other desireable traits. Never vaccinate for Mareks, a genetic predisposition to actually get sick from Mareks is something you want to know about before you breed that animal. When a bird dies of Mareks you should breathe a sigh of releif that it didn't survive long enough to pass it on.

I am at a total loss how my chick was exposed to Mareks. The place I bought chicks from is emphatic that there was no exposure there. These are my first chicks here at my house (though I learned that the previous owner did have chickens and ducks three plus years ago). I'm terrified that my other chicks are gonna get it and am trying to teach my husband how to cull. I'm falling in
love with these chicks and raising chickens. I hope this doesnt mean the end of chicken
raising. My vet was so absolute about closing my flock, destroying the coop and not bringing more chickens into the contaminated environs for two years. But other backyard chicken owners seem less extreme. What's the right answer?

Back
Top Bottom