UPDATE : dog bitten hen having difficulty passing egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Kibble Goddess, Jan 17, 2011.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Sister got her butt stitched up tonight. I can't say Thanks! enough to Dr. Chris, my army medic friend*. I brought him some info on how chicken's vents work (thanx BYCers) and he did a very careful exam of Sister. We were relieved to find there was no internal tearing and very little necrosis. He did a great job of matching up what parts went where and stitching them together. The stitching itself took about 40 minutes, a long time for Sister to be on her back, and he did use Lidocaine as per the UGA Poultry Science Department. But Sister did well and popped up as soon as I unwrapped and released her. She has drunk some water (with electrolites) since we got home. She did whip around and peck at her bum when she first got back in the hospital cage; I sure hope that was a one-time thing. She's quite swollen and the urates seem to drip out, but she did expell a poop normally. I've got to start her on antibiotics tomorrow. I've got oral Amoxicillin. Anybody know the correct dose?

Couldn't get a decent 'after' pic of her vent. Will try again tomorrow.

*No local vets will attend chickens. Dr. Chirs is a human GP who spent time in Iraq. There were no vets there so when an animal needed stitching, he did it. As he said, 'Tissue is tissue."

Gosh, I hope this is the end of this situation (pun intended [​IMG] !

2. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Sounds like your friend came to the rescue in the stitch of time! Good luck with Sisters healing, and this being the end! (that was funny)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is so cool that your friend was there to help, now she's on the mend, keep us updated. As far a antibiotics dosage I don't know but maybe you can google search and find out. [​IMG]

4. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Sister is on the mend. Called my friendly vet yesterday and asked for injectable penicillin. He said Baytril was the antibiotic of choice for poultry so I said OK. NOT! That stuff is expensive - 3 doses at $18 per dose. Next time I'm sticking to my guns. But she's looking great. She get's warm compresses on her butt 2xs /day. Wouldn't normally do this for a sutured area, but due to the injury and swelling, she's got a poopy butt and a compress is the gentlest way to clean her up. So proud of myself - she had some more necrotic tissue and I just snipped it off like Dr. Chris showed me. (and without gagging too!) Her other bites/tears are coming along nicely. She doesn't seem to be picking a bit.

5. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Sounds like a happy ending, due to your friends stitchin, and your nursing! Good work!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by