*update* EPIC FAIL: Winterizing (new pics on post #30)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DazeGoneBy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Well, it is getting a little cold, dropping into the 20s at night and my hubby decided to winterize. As you can see, our coop has some spacing between the boards where the wind could come whistling through:
    [​IMG]

So, he applied insulation board on the inside of the coop.

Shiny, shiny insulation board.

The girls loved it!

They loved it THIS much:
    [​IMG]

They loved it on both sides:
    [​IMG]

They seemed to not like the shiny paper as much as the styrofoam underneath, because we see evidence of discarded paper, but not so much styrofoam left around.
    [​IMG]

Here's hoping they don't suffer any ill effects. They've been on this new diet ([​IMG]) for 3 days, but we just de-winterized. Wondering what to do now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Plywood panelling

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Great idea with the foam, but I would go buy a thin sheet of wood ...think its called louon(sp?). Its not very expensive but it will cover foam( I mean treat...LOL)

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

yeah, lu-on would work nice. Its very thin and very smooth, so easy to paint if you wanted, or leave as is since its inside the coop.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yeah...any kind of styrofoam is like movie time pop corn to chickens. You have to cover it. If you don't care about pretty, even covering it with cardboard or feedsacks will work. Just stick some kind of cheap paneling in there to cover the gaps...or wrap the outside in tarps (but leave open some ventilation)...

6. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Yeahhhh, they love he purple insulation board too [​IMG] . I had to take it down but I'll look for the luon (sp). If it's REALLY inexpensive.... Sigh

7. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

1/4 inch luan plywood is the cheapest plywood you can get. I would paint or varnish it super well if I expected it to survive damp poo and chix humidity. There may be other 4X8 sheet goods that are cheaper, but not damp proof and harder to paint or varnish.

So far, the girls haven't tried pecking at the vis-screen (vapor barrier) I stapled over the fiberglass insulation in their coop. Still, I have plans - just not the $$ right now - to cover that with something more durable.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

8. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm thinking either the penguin pic on the silver foil got them riled up enough to peck it to even FIND the styrofoam underneath, or else they saw their own reflection and pecked. Heck, who knows?

Thanks everyone for the advice! We'll try the lu-on over a new set of insulation foam boards.

And, I know it is dumb, but I still want the inside of the coop to look nice ([​IMG]), so I'll probably paint it white.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    We are still in the process of building our coop. The siding will be old barn board, placed vertically. There are gaps between the boards and we are going to place 2" strips of wood vertically over the gaps on the outside, so there will be no draft. Maybe you could cover yours the same way? Don't know if we will insulate (my original plan WAS to insulate, but we can't really afford it, and with an open ceiling, it might not even help. I am actually more concerned with ventilation than insulation. Everything is re-thought/re-designed as we build. You can see the progress on my BYC page.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have my 34 chickens in an old barn with similar spaces between the boards. All summer I wondered what to use to cut the draft for winter since it was nice for air circulation in summer. I had been saving all of my plastic bags from Purina chicken feed, dog, and cat food, so I tried putting it up on my walls with a staple gun. The bags come apart fairly easily after cutting the bottom. It was unbelievable how warm it got in there, and I left the top 18 inches alone for ventilation overhead. You can use the white side out or the outside with the pretty animal pictures. I feel like I can rip it all down next summer and start over next fall. It doesn't insulate that well, but my boards or 1 1/2 inches thick, and I can insulate later if I need to.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by