UPDATE!! ESCAPED HEN FROM W.V.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmchickens, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    MY HUSBAND WAS TAKING TABLE SCRAPS TO THE ROO'S AND GIRLS THIS AFTERNOON, WHEN HE SAW THE ESCAPEE UNDER THE ROOST HOUSE. I ASSUME SHE WAS LOOKING FOR FOOD, BASED ON HOW LONG SHE'S BEEN GONE. BEFORE HE COULD MAKE A GRAB FOR HER SHE MADE A DASH INTO THE WOODS ONCE MORE. I JUST CAME BACK IN FROM LOOKING FOR HER. NO SUCESS. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR CATCHING HER DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS? WE ALSO PUT A SMALL DISH OF FOOD (LAYER CRUMBLES) WHERE WE SAW HER LAST. THANKS IN ADVANCE BRUCE AND MISSY [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Just for your info. Using all caps is like YELLING at people.

It sounds like your hen has a nest somewhere? If so, she should show back up with little ones in 21 or so days from when she disappeared; if she isn't killed by a predator.

Otherwise, if it's possible to follow her back into the woods, you may be able to find her nest (if that's what's happening) and thus move her and the eggs to a safe place at night.

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe try spotlighting her at dark roosting in the trees?Hope you find her!

4. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    Unfrortunately,she's a color that matches the leaves and under-brush to a maddening perfection.We left some feed out in hopes fo gaining some surveillance on her,but think that ultimately,it's gonna come down to a good old chase.IF ,that is, we can get between her and the woods. Stay tuned,we'll up-date as we make progress. Thanks,Bruce&Missy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by