*UPDATE* First duckling is out but still hasnt opened eyes.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Oct 2, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Its been 36 hours since my eggs started internally pipping and there has been almost no progress since then. Yesterday the eggs were rocking like crazy and now today they are barely moving. Whats going on? Should I be worried. Someone had earlier mention that membranes could be dry, if this is the case is there anything I can do to correct it?
    Here is a picture of on the the eggs. This is the only one that has made any progress and it still hasnt broken through the shell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ducks are slow to progress, let them be it will happen. You are still ahead of their hatch day right now.

3. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

when is their hatch date???.......if it has been days past hatch date...
    (someone with more experience needs to address this but)... if it were me I would crack into the air sack
    end and see what is going on....if not past date yet, just wait and keep water in tray to prevent drying out...
    ducks are on their own schedules I have found out...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I can't tell with the picture, but is that looks like the begining of an external pip above the third line. What breed are they?
    You should be fine. My runners took almost 48 hours, but when it started it went fast.
    Sometimes they take thier time. It's a tough process. I wouldn't worry yet.

Emily

5. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    Ttt. Should I mist them or raise the humidy? They didnt go into lockdown until yesterday afternoon? Right now the humidity is at 80%

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    DuckyMom is right- that one has broken through the shell as well. It can be hard to see sometimes as its just a small peak of shell- but its enough for a little air to transfer between the egg and outside. They are moving less because they have pretty much run out of room to move in the egg- and are resting while the yolk and blood inthe veins is being absorbed if everything is normal. The humidity is good for now- give them a little more time before you worry too much.

7. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    I have become noctural from staying up all night to watch the eggs(Im watching them now). The egg in the picture has started rocking back and forth in perfect rythm just about non-stop for the past 30 minutes.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thats why I always set my eggs so they hatch when I can have late nights. Its hard to go to bed...worse to actually fall asleep when there are duckies trying to hatch in the incubator. It must be starting to move to try and unzip the egg so it can push its way out.

9. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:So, I KNOW this is a stupid question, but here goes.....How do you figure? Say you can have a certain Friday and Saturday as late nights....do you count back exactly 28 days, and that is the day you put them in the incubator and start them?

I can't wait to try my hand at this in the spring.....I wish I had a beginners guide to incubating, though I do have Storey's Guide, but still....

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    28 days is 4 weeks... So its easy. I set them on Saturday night or Sunday morning. That way I can stay up late Friday and Saturday night when most of the pre hatching action is going on. I actually hatch year round. I set most weeks in Spring and summer and then slow down in winter to one setting every three weeks. Sometimes I do set them mid week too when I have a bust weekend planned. Of course there are always some that hatch early and late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by