UPDATE - First time hatching - another question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tjp1014, Apr 23, 2011.

1. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Hi

I have searched the site but could not find a direct answer. This is our first time hatching and it is day 21. We have peeping and tapping but no pipping. The tapping and peeping started around 9AM this morning (approx. 3 hours ago). How long does it normally take for the chick to pip?

Thanks!

Chicks have hatched! They are wobbly but do stand for short periods and are quite vocal (but not opening eyes much). How much do they typically rest in the first day?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    he i have read that some times they even take a whole day so i read not sure i have my fist pep around 7 am today and hasnt make much progress verry lil the shell pip seems to be getting bigger verry verry verry slowly . so all we need its patient altho my eggs are only 19 days old.

do u hear shepririn? have they pip the shell?

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It can be up to 24 hours after hearing peeping for the chick to pip, and take 24 hours after pipping to zip. Every chick is different, so some peep, pip, and zip quickly. Others take a while.

4. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It could take a while for them to start to pip, but once they do, they usually just sit in their egg pecking very lightly at their tiny little hole in the egg. once they start to crack the egg, they can get out in like 5-10 minutes because once they start pushing, the egg cracks apart into two pieces very fast. Just keep watching, you'll understand [​IMG]

also, i do not suggest 'helping' the chick out of its egg. many people attempt this, but it is very dangerous. mama chicken does not help her chicks out of their eggs unless they absolutely need it. bump up the humidity if they are stuck to the eggshell, because the egg's membrane is often attacked to the chick still, and this is why they come out so slow. pulling the chick out of the egg shell or cracking the egg for them can result in ripping the chick's skin, and they can bleed to death. Not a fun experience.

5. Jacobnlynn

Jacobnlynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    You could put a small hole in the big end of the egg (in the air sac) so they get some fresh air to breathe. Not too big or it dries out the membrane and makes it so the chick can't hatch itself. The size hole a pen tip would make.. they don't need much to get a good breath of air.

When I hear peeping in the egg I cut a small hole.. I hate finding full developed chicks that died at that point. It doesn't happen very often.. but it does happen sometimes.

6. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicks have hatched! They are wobbly but do stand for short periods and are quite vocal (but not opening eyes much). How much do they typically rest in the first day?

Thank you.

7. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

They can sleep a lot, hatching out of a egg is big work. They will have periods they are walking, peeping eating and drinking. If they are always sleepy it might not be a good sign. Worry is a waste of time. Enjoy your chickies [​IMG]

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

They will sleep a lot the first day. i don't even worry about them eating or drinking right away as they seem to need warmth and sleep the most. But as they begin to stand up and be alert, dip their beaks in the water. If you have food, sprinkle some on the ground and they will generally start pecking away on their own. i always grind up my chick feed for the first couple of weeks, but i tend to hatch out bantams and the smaller pieces are easier for them. i also always give chicks mashed up hard boiled eggs right off the bat. i figure it's easier to digest than dry chick food. i do this with ones i hatch in an incubator or ones that hatch out under a broody.

Good luck! What did you hatch? Any pictures?

9. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Thank you all for the help!

We hatched two buff orpingtons. We got the eggs from a local farmer and incubated them in a Mini Dome Incubator. I guess that we are very lucky to have a successful hatch after reading the posts on this type of incubator.

Next time we will invest in a better incubator [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  10. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Congrats on the chicks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by