Update: Got 2 feed store Silkies! Please tell me how they look...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silverlining, Apr 25, 2009.

1. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    I am getting 3 Silkie chicks tomorrow from the feed store because no local breeders have any chicks hatching soon enough in age to my current babies (2 weeks old) to mix together right away.

These will be my first Silkies (I'm also a chicken newbie!)

So my question is, what should I look for when picking out my chicks from the 50 fluffy butts running around?! I know clean butts/bright eyes/straight beaks and legs, but what stuff Silkie-specific?

I want whites and blacks, and for them to be bearded.

Update:

OK, long story short feed store got them in early, we didn't know, and by the time we got there there were only 3 black chicks left out of all 50 silkies. So we picked out two (they put the other one left in with some other bantams where it was lovingly accepted, don't worry. Our feed store is WONDERFUL. They check for pasting up constantly. Anyway...). I'm brand new to chickens. Just got my first group (brahmas) two weeks ago. (The Silkies are separated from them by mesh right now because they are so tiny). They are in a big cardboard box brooder on my ping pong table in the dining room [​IMG] Red heat lamp, plenty of food and water with electrolytes/vitamins.

My question is, do these Silkies look okay? One has an injured looking beak, but it has been like that since 2 mornings ago and it eats, drinks, poops, cuddles, etc. perfectly fine. Will it heal eventually? It doesn't seem to cause the chick any pain at all, its just worrisome. The other chick also eats, drinks, poos, and cuddles. They seem healthy, and are just in that sleepy few days old stage right now. They are getting more active by the day though. I took a pic of the other chicks healthy beak for comparison. I got them Sunday (yesterday) morning from the feed store, but THEY got them from a large hatchery, so I am assuming they are about 4-5 days old.

Also, they seem to be fluffyish, and each have five toes. I'm hoping they will be bearded, but I really have no idea how to tell. I am not expecting show quality (I had to get them now for vacation in beginning of June reasons, and no breeders had any), but I DO want to know if they look healthy and like they will at least resemble Silkies somewhat when larger. Any of you experts able to tell me anything? Thanks so much! Any info at all is appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    It depends on if your looking for quality you doubt you will find as good of quality of silkies from your feed store that you would get from a good breeder.

Things to look for is 5 toes..leg feathering. Skin color, I am not sure at what age you can tell if they are bearded or not since all of mine are bearded I dont know much about the none beadered.

Here is some chicks from my own birds.

White silkie chick.
    [​IMG]

Here is some white and black chicks
    [​IMG]

Partidge Silkie Chick
    [​IMG]

Buff or white not sure on color of this one yet.
    [​IMG]

3 week old partidge frizzle silkie chick..
    [​IMG]

Same partidge frizzle silkie chick about a week and half old here.
    [​IMG]

3. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    im pretty sure i have a partidge frizzle silkie... i got mine from tsc ..
    i picked 6 out when my son seen it well now i have 5 that are mine he took claims 2 it lol ... than i went back & they had some that look blue - purple.. so now i have 7 that are mine ..& daughter is trying 2 sink her paws in to 2 of them ... can a mom ever have any thing of her own lol
    btw nice lookin babies!!!
    here is mine .. what do you think? is it?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    out of the 6 in the brooder this one is the 1st to come see you & is very interested in what you are doing... when will i be able to tell hen or roo / this one i will be posting new pics of them as i do every sunday so far im still on the hunt to figure what i have lol

6. silverlining

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    oh thanks! So the fluffier the better. Calm but healthy. You're definitely right about the breeder. These feed store ones will probably just be pets though. I was just hoping to pick out some that MIGHT actually end up looking something like a Silkie is supposed to when larger! If I decide to show I guess I will just have to go through the whole raising the youngsters separate and then integrating them type deal. The thought terrifies me as a newbie! I have heard so many stories of pecked butts! [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Your baby looks buff.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Yeah it took me over 6 months to really ever wanna breed my silkies for quality and start hatching from them. To introduce new birds and raise them from babies. It takes some time for newbies and The first few times you will error but as you do you will learn and learn. It gets better as you go.

I have been doing this for almost 2 years now and I am by no means an Expert I learn new things everyday. I always have my mind open to learn about my breed of chicken I love.

9. silverlining

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    Here are the mentioned pics:

1) one chicks feet.

[​IMG]

2)just darned cute.

[​IMG]

3) Next to a quarter for size.

[​IMG]

4) Healthy chick beak

[​IMG]

5) Slightly odd looking (maybe injured?) chick beak, but does not affect chick yet.

[​IMG]

10. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    it may not be injured it may be a roo, I have a silkie roo with a comb on his nose like that..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by