**UPDATE** Help! Am I duckling killer?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ccrecelius, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    About 12 weeks ago, I got 10 day old chicks and 4 day old ducklings. Only one duckling survived. I order more chicks and ducklings and received them Friday August 1. I ordered 3 Sweedish ducklings. Two have died! I only have one left.

I am doing something wrong, please help!

I am NOT feeding them the chick starter.

I think Rural King sold me either the layer or the meatbird crumbles. They said that they were fine for ducklings. Is this wrong? Am I just set up wrong for the ducklings?

What am I SUPPOSED to be doing? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    well for me i use game starter and all have been healthy, im not sure why yours are dying like that, could be the feed? but i know a few people that uses what you are using with no problems at all, how long after you get them do they die???

3. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Well, with the first group I lost one in the first week. Then I lost the other two during the 3rd and 4th week.

I lost one from this group in the first 6 hours. And the second one today (day 3). I have them set up a lot like my chickens only their food is a lot lower and I also put a smaller (jar lid) feed tray with food and mixed it with water. I have been trying to keep their box around 90 degrees.

I really like these little guys and want to have many. I want to order some more, but will not until I find out what I am doing wrong.

4. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    Quote:the only difference i've set up was i had a small waterer, and i put food on a plate, i never mix food with water, and also after three days i usually take the heat down to around 80%.... from the way it sounds i really dont think you are really doing anything wrong, unless the ducklings are getting to hot, i would maybe try next time to get game starter, could be something your doing or it could be simply be not so healthy birds you got, maybe someone with a little more experience will chime in and give you the answers you are looking for!

5. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I've lost ducklings due to them playing in their water and getting cold... could that be your problem? Supplying them with too much water in a little area where they can't escape their mess?

6. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Thank you Josh, I am going to turn down the heat then! I appreciate it!

And if anyone else has any advice, I appreciate it. I am feeling like a murderess right now!

7. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    no problems, how big is your brooder box btw? and if it does get too hot, do they have a way to get out of the heat???

8. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I think that is where I messed up, I don't think it is big enough for them to get out of the heat. It is about 2 x 2.5 feet. And I am using one of those heat lamps with the big thingy (like my words, sometimes I make them up as I go! JK).

I just moved the light so that the temp. would drop and it also made it so that the little guy can get out of the light!

I am such a moron. [​IMG]

9. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    O yeah, I started them on electrolytes today. Could that be a problem? I was going to keep them on electrolytes for three days.

I did not put the first group on them.

10. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    electrolytes wouldnt be a problem, i bet it was the heat thingy lol, i usually just use a 60 watt light bulb instead of the big heat lights, i only use those big ones when its winter and they are in the shed, good luck to the rest! im pretty sure thats what the problems was,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by