UPDATE: Help bloody rear end, please help her (VERY GRAPHIC PIC)

Granny Hoffman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SE Michigan
1) What type of bird , age and weight. LO, 10-1/2 weeks, not sure on weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Very lethargic
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Not sure, just found her like this. They have been in a brooder and its hard to see them
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Just huddled in a corner
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No broken bones that we can see, very bloody and goo oozing out.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water with ACV and medicated chick feed, scratch and greens
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? No treatment so far, just found her like this
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No vet have to treat at home
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pic attached
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Large brooder with 8 other birds same age. Bedding is straw

We have her in a cat carrier in the house with chick feed and water at the moment. No vets around that will treat chickens and I can't afford a vet bill right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

63578_img_0958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
does she appear to be in pain? looks like he is pooping her intestines out.
I would cull, with that much blood and ooze coming out.

Is there stuff coming out? It looks just like poo to me, but if its insides are comming out it has prolapse.
Was it pecked at? Thats what it looks like to me, but its hard to tell with the blood in the pic.

HOLY COW that poor thing-it looks like she may have had prolapse and all the other chickens had a feeding blood frenzy on her butt! It looks like a huge hole in her. This is just my personal advice and may not be the best but if she looks like she is suffering in any way I would put her down. Im so sorry

From what I can see, something has gotten to her and pulled feathers and ripped skin, it looks like. It doesn't look to be to be a big hole, but let us know if it is because that would change things. Is that just poop coming out?

Could be the other chickens picking at her and they'll keep picking at the red area and blood, could be rats, etc. Good job on separating her. If the wound is dirty you'll probably want to gently clean it (warm water). Keep her in a warm safe place, some vitamins in her water (baby vitamins without iron, everyone says) couldn't hurt and for healing I'd try to get some extra protein and good stuff in her. Yogurt has the good cultures and scrambled eggs/warmed meat scraps will get some protein in her. Try to keep her pretty still so she can just concentrate on resting and recovering. When you have her out to clean the wound, check her all over carefully in case there are any other small wounds somewhere. Might run out and check all of the others, too, just for added precaution.

Last edited:
She looks like she is being eaten/cannibalized. Hard to tell without cleaning her up how bad it is or even what it is. Not sure I'd put her through trying to heal it, depending on size and depth. If there is a prolapse under there, I probably would not, as it looks like the prolapsed tissue has been further damaged.

They were in a brooder? How big? Cannibalizing is very often due to overcrowding. That's why commercial operations cut off the top of one beak, so they can't do this.

Thank you for all your advise. She acted like she was in agony, so we decided to put her down. I am thinking that she was too far gone for us to bring her back. With these cold temps we have been having lately, I was afraid they would get cold. I thought I had a big enough brooder for them. It is 8 feet long and 2-1/2 feed wide. After this they are out of the brooder and with the rest of the gang.

Back
Top Bottom