1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update: Help, Chick stuck to shell!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DDDMIchicks, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DDDMIchicks

DDDMIchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    I had a chick hatch about 4 hours ago, it didn't try very hard to get out of the shell when it first hatched and now I'm pretty sure its wing is stuck to the outside of the shell. It keeps trying to move but it can't get out & I haven't seen the wing move at all. Hopefully this picture gives a good view of how she looks. I've got 9 other eggs in the bator, 5 of which have pips. Should I get the bathroom steamy & moisten her wing to help her get unstuck of just wait? I don't want to loose my other eggs but I feel really bad for her![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Ohhh. Such a tough call!

What is the humidity in the incubator right now?

Last hatch I helped a chick, and in turn, think I sacrificed some others. But, I don't think I could sit and watch this without helping.....

3. DDDMIchicks

Jan 23, 2012
    The humidity is staying right around 70%. There are 14 other chicks that have already hatched & they keep walking over her. She's getting pretty worked up and pulling on her wing trying to move out of their way.

4. AngelaPenny

Jan 26, 2012
    This is completely up to you, but if it were me, this is what I would do.

Get into a steamy bathroom, bring along paper towel that you can dampen with very warm water, and a spray bottle that you can mist very warm water into the bator when you open it.

I'd quickly remove the lid, spray the eggs, and help the little fluffer out while holding her with the warm paper towel. Once you get her unstuck, put her back in, spray again, and close the lid.

Good luck, keep us posted please.

5. DDDMIchicks

Jan 23, 2012
    I've got the water going in the bathroom now so I'm going to wait until its super humid in there and go for it. She just is not making any progress & I don't want her to hurt her wing. Wish me luck!! [​IMG]

6. DDDMIchicks

Jan 23, 2012
    Well she's out, I just did enough to get her wing unstuck & she climbed the rest of the way out by herself. The foot that was stuck under her is pretty scrunched up but hopefully now that she's out it will stretch out. I'm pretty sure a few of the pips look bigger to me so I don't think I shrink wrapped them. Thanks for you help!

7. AngelaPenny

Jan 26, 2012
    Let us know how the rest of the hatch goes. Glad she's okay :)

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd keep an eye on her foot. I've had so many that got stuck that ended up with curled feet. I don't know if its why they got stuck or it curled cuz it couldn't get out properly. I made a boot for them and almost all of them ended up just fine. Sooo...if you don't know how to I'd google it and get ready and once its out of the incubator you can make it one if it needs it.

9. DDDMIchicks

Jan 23, 2012
    New update! After she climbed out of the shell she stayed laying on top of it all day and still acted like she couldn't move. Finally about 2 hours ago I brought the whole bator in the bathroom again & pulled her out. Turns out she had gotten stuck again in a couple different spots the worst of which was right on her belly! I used a warm paper towel and got her unstuck. After that I put her in a makeshift brooder with another little one who seemed to be getting trampled to dry off & rest. I'm so glad I went with my gut and decided to go in and help her again!! She seems to be walking around fine now, except for when she just falls over from being totally exhausted! Here is a new picture of her resting.
    [​IMG]

10. DDDMIchicks

Jan 23, 2012
    Forgot to add that I've had 20 out of 24 hatch!! I don't see any more pips so I might be done. I'm very happy with that since the last incubation I only got 3 out of 9, the other 6 were fully formed just never hatched. [​IMG] I did more of a dry incubation this time and it has been much more successful! I'll post pics of all of the babies once I move them tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by