UPDATE ~ Help NEEDED!!!! No idea what I am doing...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mathesonfarm, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Ok, well, I have never hatched quail eggs before and I was just given 5! WHAT DO I DO??!!??!! I have hatched chickens...is it the same? I was told that the temperature would be the same as chicken eggs but what about humidity, # of incubation days, how many days in lockdown and lockdown humidity? Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED and NEEDED. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's the same temp and takes about 16-18 days.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    1st Thing We Need To Know Is What Type Of Quail... Incubation Times Vary Greatly From 1 Species To The Next

4. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:OH NO! Well, I have been looking up google images and the eggs look like coturnix eggs, but Im not sure if more than one breed has the same type of eggs... They were given to me by a little boy so I wont be able to ask him until schools out, but he should know.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OH NO! Well, I have been looking up google images and the eggs look like coturnix eggs, but Im not sure if more than one breed has the same type of eggs... They were given to me by a little boy so I wont be able to ask him until schools out, but he should know.

Coturnix...Spotted eggs.[​IMG] except yu'll get an occasional solid egg ,not not generally.
    17-19 days. 99.5-100. degrees . humdiity 40-50% till lockdown on day 15. Then 55-65% humidity.
    Grind up game/sporting bird starter(28-30% protein , UNmedicated )feed to cornmeal consistency for the first 2 weeks.
    brooder temp..1st week= 95degrees.2nd week=90 degrees.3rd week=85degrees.etc,until they're acclimated to regular temps.
    Hope this is helpful [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Careful... Valley Look Like Coturnix Too As Well As Some Other Coturnix Species That Have Varying Incubation Times... Best To Find Out Exactly What Species (and Yes Valleys Should Not Be Laying Now, But I Do Have 4 Sitting On The Counter Currently Awaiting Placement In My Bator ( I Have No Idea What She's Doing? Dont Really Think She Does Either, But If She Lay's 'em I Set 'em...)

7. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York

Coturnix...Spotted eggs.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/64855_dscf4236.jpg except yu'll get an occasional solid egg ,not not generally.
    17-19 days. 99.5-100. degrees . humdiity 40-50% till lockdown on day 15. Then 55-65% humidity.
    Grind up game/sporting bird starter(28-30% protein , UNmedicated )feed to cornmeal consistency for the first 2 weeks.
    brooder temp..1st week= 95degrees.2nd week=90 degrees.3rd week=85degrees.etc,until they're acclimated to regular temps.
    Hope this is helpful [​IMG]

WOW, that is awesome! Thank you sooooo sooooo soooo much! My eggs look exactly like that! Is that a specific breed or can many different breeds lay ones like that? I really do not know ANYTHING what-so-ever about quails. They are a complete mystery to me, lol. Thank you so much, again!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Japanese quail/Coturnix. I don't think there's another species that lays eggs that are look alikes but not 100% sure since i only do quail (and a couple ducks).

9. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Ok, here's an update....When my childrens' friend got home from school, he told me that the eggs are from a california quail. I googled california quail and one thing said that they take 23 days to hatch, is that right? Also found out that they had been sat on for 3 days. Do you stop turning them 3 days before, like chickens? And does the clock start on day 0 as well? Thanks for everyones help!

10. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Rice Country, CA
    If they are California Valley Quail eggs and if they hatch, one thing is for sure, you will have your hands full. They are WILD birds and have a natural fear of humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by