**UPDATE** HELP!! Rooster mounted her and now she won't stand!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychookschick, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    This morning when I went out to take care of the chickens I went into the grain room to get my boots. I heard squaking and when I looked up, the "under-dog" rooster had mounted a hen... The dominant roo ran up and knocked him off, he started to mount her, but I hollered at him. Then, the hen wouldn't stand up!! She just laid there.... And the other hens started to peck her head, so I ran in and got her. She is separated with a heat lamp, food, and water. She still won't walk... she now sort of scurries on the back of her leg bone, but only when she absolutely has to. What should I do? Any ideas on what is wrong? I checked her sides for spur holes, but there isn't anything there! HELP ME!!

Thank you so much!
    My Chooks Chick

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I hope someone gives you an answer, that is strange. I have had a hen mount her and she just laid over on her side like in shock, but didn't last long. I wonder if he pulled some hip muscles. Give her a day or so to rest up and I hope it helps!

3. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Update: I took her outside and set her down. She just sat there, like before! When I stepped towards her she moved away... WALKING!! She looked like she was going to poop, then when it came it wasn't even diahreaa, it was like dirty river water, and a lot of it!! Then I decide it was time to go back in because she was wandering a bit too far for my liking.... And the rooster was coming! When I went to pick her up she started to run, got a little ways then stumbled and started to walk like a duck, or an overgrown meatbird! WEIRD!! So I caught her and put her back in "the box", when I left she was standing up looking around like a normal chicken! "URGH! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!"

4. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    check to make sure she's not egg boud...I only say that b/c I've seen some of my girls just drop an egg when they are spooked! kind of comical. [​IMG]

5. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Yea... I've seen that happen too! LOL But, I already checked... She laid her egg before I got to the coop this mornin'.... Or she didn't have one today... [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she were mine I'd keep her confined for a day or two to let her rest, because it could easily be a strain, sprain, pulled muscle, etc. The diarrhea might just be the stress; let's hope so. You should know more in a day or two.

7. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I plan to keep her in for a couple of days...Sometimes she acts normal and others she acts like she is plum worn out!!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OMG!

The EXACT same thing happened to one of my games this morning. I was only inside for 10 minutes and had left the door to the BCM run open. They usually don't even bother with the games.

Went back outside with some treats and the hens were picking at her comb and it was bleeding. I could tell the roo had mounted her, because he broke her back feathers. This girl have never been with a rooster. Right now I'm looking at her in a box. She's starting to scrape her beal back and forth on it. She doesn't seem to be hurt, but will not even try to stand. Maybe she's in shock from all those big birds attacking her at once. Poor baby is tramatized.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Was it a big rooster and a much smaller hen? A large rooster can injure a small hen.

10. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i'm afraid this might be the case of one of my favorite hens last night. she's acting like her leg and wing are broken, stressed or strained. i have an over sized boy (larger than bantam but still small for LF) that has been favoring my bantam hens lately and i think he may have hurt her in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by