UPDATE: Hen is not right, may have sick hen. Mystery Solved!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LegginMF12, Jul 21, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Well I have finally figured out what is wrong with my super shy hen. I have been going nuts thinking she is sick, possibly egg bound, the very bottom of the pecking order etc. She always stays away from the rest of the group, when I throw out feed and treats she inspects everything for so long before she eats it that it is almost always grabbed by somebody else. I had also been noticing that she seems weak and was laying around a lot. So today I picked her up and started assessing her just as I would any other patient that couldn't tell me what was wrong. And..... I found that she is completely and totally blind in her right eye! the pupil is blown and irregular in shape, she has no reaction to movement coming from that direction. This makes it hard to protect herself in the flock, she can't see half the hens coming after her, food is a little difficult to identify, hence the long inspection before eating things. So I am leaving her by herself in the coop in the mornings so she can eat in peace and get caught up in size and weight. She has never had an injury so I am wondering if this is a congenital defect as the eye looks normal except there is no clear demarcation between the pupil and the iris. They just kind of run together will post pic of it later today.

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I know a hen who is blind in one eye after an infection. She does just fine, and gets extra TLC and is super sweet as a result!

3. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I would not be so quick to say the mystery has been solved. I have had a number of chickens blind in one eye over the years (We are talking 50 years) and you would never have known there was anything different about them. They had an easier time eating when the food was put down in a deep bowl, since they lack the depth perception to aim accurately at scattered feed, but other than that they required no special treatment. I find these eye defects more common in Ameracuanas than in other breed.

4. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    My roo was blind in one eye. He did amazingly well for being old and half blind. I'm sure she'll thrive under your TLC.

5. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Quote:She IS not getting enough feed that is scattered for them in the yard. This is why I will leave her in my coop for an extra 1/2 to 1 hour in the mornings. She can't compete for the stuff tossed out during the day. When she is in the coop with all of the chickens she will not go to any feeder if another chicken is there. She has been living on the fringe of the flock and has not been getting enough food for quite awhile. I think if she has a food source to herself with no other chickens around she will greatly improve. I have already put her in the coop by herself today and the poor girl chowed down like it was the first time she ate in a week! The depth perception explains why she spends so long inspecting treats that are thrown out to them. She inspects them so long one of the other chickens come and takes it before she eats it.

6. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    Glad you were able to solve your mystery and she is getting the TLC she needs to thrive. [​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If her iris is irregular, she probably has ocular mareks.

8. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    pips&peeps :

If her iris is irregular, she probably has ocular mareks.

UHOH! going to do some research right now.
    [​IMG]

9. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by