*Update* Horse Vent

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Celtic Hill, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay, well i need a vent...

I bought my horse last year knowing she is a Registered Irish Sport Horse, and that the current owners (who i am friends with) do not have the papers i bought my horse Fiona. Now after spending a year with her i am really interested in her pedigree, i love genetics, so i contacted the owner before the owners i bought her from (who is the trainer for the owners before me) and she has always left out a name of the owner but told me Fee's life story. Now realizing the quality of my mare, (my trainer says we can make it to third level showing and school forth) that bred to the right stallion i could have a really nice horse that could go really far as a jumper OR dressage prospect. Any ways motives aside, i want her papers or at least to know her show name so i can find out her lineage. So any ways i have been trying and know one can tell me, i feel like this is some big secret and its just bugging the heck out of me. Fiona is worth the world to me not only is she going to make an outstanding show horse, but she has a lovely disposition and is just about everything i could ever ask for in a horse. Any ways one of my other freind who used the same trainer said that Fiona's owner before the last two was dating the one before, so i FB stalked him and emailed him hoping he can at least give me a name.

Vent is over

So here is my lovely mare and I waiting for our turn at Barrel Racing, our "Cool down" from intense showing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Sorry to hear of your frustations. I think persistance is the key, if you put the bug in enough ears you are bound to find answers.

3. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    This is an odd thing to say, but I want to hug her hooves. That's something I've noticed in the ISHs, they're massive in the right places, and athletic in the right places. She's a great looking mare. Do you have any pics of her in the ring?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What a gorgeous horse! I hope you are able to find out her registered name. I would be frustrated as well!

5. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    She is a gorgeous girl.
    I hope you will find out the answers. I know it is frustrating when they could just tell you instead of hide it.

6. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    So have you tried her former vets? If the previous owner can give you her former vet they used, that may help you in getting the information you need.
    ALso, no coggins? or interstate health certs from previous owners?
    If you can get a name, you can google them. Its actually amazing what you can find on the internet.

We rescued a bay overo (minimum white) half arabian, saddlebred mare, named Fiona!!
    I did some research on her sire.. he is a very very rare medicine hat overo saddlebred.

Perhaps you can send in your Fee's pics and history to the Irish sport horse registry with last known owners, or all previously known owners and the registry will help you.
    ALSO see if they DNA their horses, for a small fee you can get a kit and perhaps send in yours and have her ID"d that way.

Hope this helps...
    Carol

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Should have got the papers BEFORE any money changed hands. Money is always a good motivator.

1 person likes this.
  8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Some breeders will supply the papers for money. In some cases I've heard of, the fee for papers have been between ten and fifteen thousand dollars. I hope your breeder charges less.

But....there might not be any papers. Your horse looks smaller, narrower and lighter than is typical for full Irish Draft. She might be full ID (not all look 'typical'), half ID or all something else. Unless you want to sell her or her foal, having papers isn't as important as having a mare that 'should be bred'. She needs to be a really outstanding, exceptional individual in all ways. It's best to have her evaluated by an expert to determine if she should be bred. We have to be so careful and breed only really exceptional mares. There are a lot of unwanted grade 'homeless horses' in the US.

About breeding your own and going up the levels of dressage, there are a great many very difficult challenges to that. If you want more details please let me know. I really do wish you the best of success.

There are no short cuts or gimmicks in raising a sport horse baby or going up the levels of dressage. It is a whole different world from other riding disciplines. Sport horses have to be more mature to start, so are broke later (3, 3 1/2). There are no special bits, special bridles, draw reins or martingales to make the training easier. Riding experience of other types winds up being more of an obstacle than a help because much will have to be unlearned. Each level in dressage requires at least one year, more if the rider has not done it many times before. The rider needs an instructor who has gone up the levels many times himself/herself, over and over.

It takes a special kind of person and a special horse. While involving an awful lot of hard work every day for years, it is exciting and some people just love that world and eat up the challenges involved.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    If she is indeed registered, you may be able to contact the registry and they can help you. However, often times you need at least a sire name.

A friend of mine bought a 23 yr old Arab gelding from some animal hoarders who decided they didn't want him because he had heaves. They didn't include the papers (probably because they knew friend was involved with Arabians and though she'd turn around and sell him for a profit [​IMG] ) but she knew one of his previous owners, his age, color and markings, she she strongly suspected that he had been bred at Greystone Arabians. His name was Ibn, Arabic for son of and not a typical redneck barn name so we also strongly figured that Ibn was somewhere in his name.

She got a hold of another friend of mine who has the Arabian Horse Source database CD and with that info, we were able to find out that he was Ibn Bahar, son of Greystone Bahar and friend was able to contact the AHR and get his papers.

It can be done

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have sold miniatures without papers (as pets and sold in pet prices) and surrended the papers to the AMHA. At any time the owner wants to register the mini when he has more money, he can get it DNA'ed. All my minis were DNA'ed so it is not a problem. I only had one owner that contacted me and asked me who was her parents which I happily "told" them the names, no copies of the AMHA papers, just names and registration numbers and they can take it from there. I had one "lost" the papers which the registry asked me if this horse was bred by me and needed my signature while they are waiting for the owners to submit the DNA sample to the University before they can give him the papers. It is expensive but the owner thought this mare was "worth" it.

I hope you will find her background...have done that many times, tracking down the breeders (in the Paso Finos), digging up the ancestory and so forth. It was worth the time and a year worth of finding the pedigree of my mare.

She looks like a sweet mare with gentle face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by