**UPDATE** Hova Bator vs Little Giant....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mourningdove, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    1st let me thank all of you who replied to my post on this topic [​IMG] I did alot of searching [​IMG] , more reading here [​IMG] , I went back to ebay [​IMG] and I just bought a brand new Hova Bator 1602 with turbo fans [​IMG] now I am so eggcited [​IMG] that I am having trouble containing my eggcitement [​IMG]

I [​IMG] to BYC!!!!!!!! Thanks again!! [​IMG]

Next question..............
    what kind of eggs should I start with? I want to get started...
    that is once the bator gets here of course [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You should try hatching eggs from either your own birds, or a local seller, before getting any shipped. It is hard enough on the eggs to be shipped, you really ought to be familiar with your incubator before spending big $$ on eggs! That being said, you should try hatching anything bantam, but I'm biased!

3. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    thanks for the suggestion! Yes I do love bantams!!!!! Someone told me yesturday that cochins are great at being excellent setters and mothers, is that trus? I never had cochins before! But I love aracaunas!

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    If you want Setters, get Silkies. Those little girls just love to go broody and sit and sit and sit. I had one this past fall that I could not break. I finally gave her two eggs in hopes they would hatch and that would break her. They did and it did. Of course, three weeks ago she is back at it. I really do love my Silkies (Eye-Candy).

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes from what I've heard, silkies are very good setters! But cochins are as well. So are old english games, bantam or standards. The game mamas are vicious!!! Just you try and get near her babies!! Especially if they are real itty-bitty! My dad has a game standard hen that had bitties this past summer. I wasn't even trying to get the baby, I was just trying to fill a waterer from a bucket. But one of her bitties was too close to me, and when I went to bend over to fill the waterer, she almost flogged me! She stopped when she realized I wasn't getting her baby, but I can only imagine what she would have done if I were!

6. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I do have an old english game hen but she hasn't started laying yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by