Update - how long do I need to isolate for Cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrs macdonald, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mrs macdonald

mrs macdonald Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    ETA: the chick has been on selmat for about 6 hours and seems a little less listless, but is sounding really sad on his own - continuously peeping and trying to get out. How soon before I can move him back with the others - they are also on the selmat in their water?

Hi, one of our 6 two week old chicks is very listless, just standing with head down and there is a little blood on the pine shavings. I suspected cocci, but can such a young chick get that - she has not been outside or near an adult hen (these are our first chicks)? They have all been on medicated starter feed?

I have isolated her and changes all the shavings and cleaned water and feed in the main brooder - is this right?

I have managed to find some sulmet (no corid to be found) and have added this to the water and tried giving some to the chick through a dropper. Is this okay? Do the other chicks need it to?

Anything else I should be doing? Anything else to help prevent the others becoming ill?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, keep doing it!

3. mrs macdonald

Oct 17, 2011
    Any thoughts ????

I've decided to medicate them all ....

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Posted the same time!

5. mrs macdonald

Oct 17, 2011
    Quote:Posted the same time!

Thank you - glad to know I'm on the right track.

6. mrs macdonald

Oct 17, 2011
    Bumping up for another question!

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Why not put one other chick in with him/her? It's easier to clean out the shavings in one smaller brooder than for all your chickens. I would then keep the two isolated until the symptoms of cocci are totally gone and you've gone through the medication. If after the 6 days of sulmet, the chick(s) are still sick, then use Corid. If they appear fine, then put them back with the rest of their buddies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by