**UPDATE** how to get injured chick to eat/drink??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 27, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I had a 1 mth old chick injured by a kitten this afternoon. 1 foot was chewed off and several puncture wounds. I cleaned them with saline water and put some spray stuff a farmer friend made for their animals. It worked on the dogs hot spots very well. DH brought home some BlueCote this eve, so I will try that on it also. I tried to apply a bandage with gauze and vetwrap on the foot, but it came off. I have duramycin mixed with water and a little in its food which I mixed with yogurt. So far it hasn't eaten or drank anything. Has anyone had a similiar injury with the foot. I think it is in pain as it was chirping off and on, but it just sits with its eyes closed. If it does'nt get any anitbiotics in its system, infection is going to set in. Not quite sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did have an earlier post, in which the replyers suggested what I have already done. Just need to know how to get it to eat/drink and how long should I wait. I don't want it to suffer. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    try dipping its beak in the water some, than right it so it can swallow. after a mintue or if it swallows do this again. it might start drinking. maybe put a buddy in with it so its not lonely, also will see buddy drinking and eating might help it want some to. good luck [​IMG]

3. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    thank you ramerizframing! I thought of that also. I'm thinking of going out and getting its mother and bringing here in for the night. I have a very large dog carrier that would acommodate them. If the mother eats the medicated food, will it hurt her and I'm not sure if she is back to laying yet, but if I keep her in the pen I guess I will find out. Do you think this is a good idea?

4. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    well, just put bluekote on wounds and rewraped foot. Dipped beak in water and it did take in a very small amt. Went out and got momma and put them in the dog carrier in the front room. Will see what things are like in the morn.

5. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Just want to say I hope your chick recovers.
    An easy way to get them to drink water, vitamins, electrolytes, meds, when they don't want to ...
    Put it in a SMALL plastic bottle cap, tilt it to one side and while chick(en) is in your lap gently, okay if you have to force it, push and hold the beak in the tiny bit of liquid in the tilted bottle cap.
    Hold the sweet little head/beak in it for a few seconds. It has to drink it unless it's too late.
    Buena Suerte!

6. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi dshappychicks. I recently treated my 9 week old for cocci. She was so sick she wouldn't drink enough of the medicated water to make her well. I ended up using a small syringe with a curved tip. I would gently open her beak and squirt the water in her mouth in small amounts. With each squirt she would swallow it. I did the same with plain yogurt so that she would get some protein as well. I know some say not to syringe water into their mouths for fear they will inhale it, but it worked very well for my chick. Just do little bits at a time. Good luck and I hope she recovers!

7. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Update on injured chick. Woke up this morn and the chick had died in the nite. It was very weak last nite. Did not open its eyes and only made one little weak cheep when we were nursing it's wounds. Momma ignored it, but she was in a strange place and the chick smelled a lot different, if that even makes a diff to chickens, she settled in about 6 inches from the chick, but didn't acknowledge it in any way. If there had not been any improvement this morn, DH was going to put it to rest. I believe it was in a lot of pain with its foot. Thank you 6chick*start and greenkjb for your suggestions. I do so appreciate all advice that was given. Thanks to you all!! And have a blessed day! [​IMG]

Debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by