Update - I think I got a couple of girls. Added PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Happy Chooks, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My babies are 1 week old. I KNOW for sure I have at least 2 cockerals, probably 3 or 4.

One of my BR has wing feathers coming in and from the coloring, I know it's a cockeral.

And the moose welsummer is crowing. Yup, he started at about 4 days old, couldn't believe what I was seeing. He stands there all tall and stretches out his neck, at this little chick squeaky noise comes out of him. He's gonna be gorgeous though, from his coloring. (I'm hoping he'll be nice and be a keeper)

I believe the other BR is a boy also, but I'm waiting for the wing feathers to come in more to be sure.

Then I have another welsummer that runs and jumps on some of the others. My pullets never did that, so I'm guessing boy there too.

So I'm thinking I probably have 4 (out of 5) boys. And possibly ALL cockerals. Figures I can't get a pullet.[​IMG] I didn't mind a cockeral or two, but darnit, I wanted some girls also.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    That's why I'm giving up hatching... too many darn roos! All my future chicks are coming from Ideal.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    So where are the pictures?? We want pictures of these cockerals!!

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, same problem here with hatching cockerels, or ordering straight run from a hatchery!

out of a group of 8 salmon fav eggs that hatched i kept 4 for myself and sold the other 4. the 4 i kept ended up cockerels. i know one of the ladies i sold to ended up with 1 pullet and a cockerel. the other 2 i didn't hear back from the other one who bought them. but it still wasn't a good ratio.

i think i've ended up with about 18 cockerels over the 8 months i've been raising chickens. 2 i am keeping, 2 i am still looking for new homes. some i've given away, tried selling, or unfortunately had to process a few due to nastiness to everyone/thing around them!

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's dark out now. I'll get pics in the morning. They are in my insulated well house. It's toasty in there, but I don't want to go tromping all the way up there in the dark.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted a few welsummer females. I guess I'll have to order more eggs in the spring to try for some girls.

And we're probably going to end up processing a couple. Unless anyone in Northern CA wants a Welsummer or BR rooster. I get my pick of the welsummer roosters though. (They are from Bargain's stock, so they are destined to be beautiful)

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cockeral #1
    [​IMG]

Not 100% sure on this one, but from the wing feathers, I think cockeral. Makes me sad too, cuz this is the one that hurt itself and I worked hard to save it, so I was hoping it would be a pullet.
    [​IMG]

Cockeral #3 The moose that is crowing.
    [​IMG]

Not sure.
    [​IMG]

Not sure.
    [​IMG]

If you tell me I have all cockerals, I'm going to cry.[​IMG]

7. Luvmybob

Luvmybob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Don't cry-- [​IMG] --It's really too early for me to tell...but if I were to guess I would say the 3rd one looks like a cockeral but the others look like pullets to me??? Again- I'm fairly new to this but I guessed right when the first chicks I bought were unsexed 3 were pullets from ACE but 3 were unknown so I took them all and I said, I want that one because he looks like a boy to me and he was 2 weeks old = )

Good Luck--they are very pretty

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The 3rd one is DEFINITELY a cockeral. He stands there, gets his legs all stiff, stretches his neck and makes a squeaky turkey-like sound. I think he will be gorgeous, so hopefully he'll be a good roo and nice to the ladies. I'd really like to keep him, but if he turns mean.........Off with his head! (I have 2 kids and no tolerance for meanies)

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    After searching and searching and searching for sexing welsummers, I've concluded that I have...........................

1 boy and 2 girls! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now just [​IMG] that I'm right. (and the eyeliner theory is right)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by