1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE.. I think it's Wry neck. My pullet is acting weird.. Neurological?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchicks, Aug 30, 2014.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    OK, I posted 1 1/2 weeks ago about my 4 month old EE pullet to that was all fluffed up and lethargic and wobbly. I didn't know what was wrong with her so I treated her with VetRX, corid, tylan50 and finally, rooster booster in her water for the last 3 days. The symptoms have disappeared, she seems normal, but she's acting kinda cuckoo.

She's been in the house the whole time I've been treating her, but now that she's not showing any signs of illness, I've tried putting her back with the flock. She is TERRIFIED of them, even the 2 she was raised with. She won't go anywhere near them. A couple of them went after her, which I expected after being out of the flock fur almost 2 weeks, but most just ignore her. I have a separate enclosed area within the chicken run where I keep a serama, so I put her in there in hopes she could be integrated that way. The serama chased her for a few min. Then one of my other pullets went up to the fence and tried to "fence fight" with her. She could have moved away from the fence, but instead she freaked out and was trying to get through and under the fence to get away. It was strange. It's like she's got brain damage or something. Now I'm wondering if maybe she was hurt and that's what caused the first symptoms. Like maybe falling off the perch, or something.

If that's not it, are there any chicken illness that can cause this? I'm at a loss...

2. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Having similar thing with mine soon as they went back after 10 days the others chased them
    They just huddled by the get so I put them back in the garden shed
    I leave the door open but they won't come out
    I think they have just been so spoilt and Molly coddled they don't want it to stop!

3. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I put her in with my 11oz serama this morning, the serama chased her around the pen, which is about 30 x 10 ft, she ended up hiding between the wood fence and the little coop, wedged in there. What is wrong with this bird?

4. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I picked her up and her neck is kind of twisted. You can't notice it to look at her, but I can definitely feel it. I guess that's why she's asking so scared, she kniws she's vulnerable, I guess. She's back I will the house on rooster booster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by