UPDATE: I think there's infection pls help: Injured Aracauna Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 8hipchicks, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    UPDATE: Today we are noticing that while Sayuri is still eating and drinking, walking, etc. she seems tired and is sleeping alot. The area around her injury and her little comb are bright pink and her beak is warm and her eye is weeping and the skin around it is swollen. We have moved her into the house from the 3 season plexiglass enclosed porch. There is a raging rain/snow storm today and it's still cold and drafy out there. The would is scabbed over but a little smelly.

I'm thinking I should be putting some antibiotic into her water but not sure what kind is best.

Please help. I would hate to lose this sweet, gentle bird to an infection.

“Sayuri” is an approximately 8 months old (bought as young pullet from an organic farm) Aracauna suddenly being picked/pecked on by most of our flock. She is a very sweet, gentle young lady at the bottom of the pecking order and I have no idea why some of the others have become nasty toward her.

She has sustained what appears to be a non life-threatening injury that concerns me.

They seem to have pecked at her beak/nostril area to the extent they be caused a hole and removed some of the skin. This in turn seems to be causing some fatigue to her eye area though there is no discernable injury to her eye – though she has had some small clear/foamy discharge. The below picture (sorry it's blurry) makes it seem as though she is really "hurting" - but she's not. At least at this time.

I cleaned the wound with some warm water and wiped the area with some more clean water with a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide added. I finished off with an application of Neosporin. She is drinking fresh water with some electrolytes added.

She exhibits no other signs of injury or distress. Her disposition, appetite and drinking remain absolutely normal.

She is now separated from the rest of the flock with her best friend Sundew so she can rest.

This doesn't seem to be life threatening but I would really appreciate input from others as to:

1) How bad this injury looks and if people believe there is lasting damage
    2) Have I treated her correctly
    3) If there is any treatment I should add

Many thanks from Sayuri and me for your help.

Here is a link to the picture. I couldn't get it to post here for some reason.
    http://8hipchicks.blogspot.com/2009/12/injury-sayuri.html

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. dlolato

dlolato Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Pryor
    We have an Astralorp who is approximately eight months old as well, and was raised with ten other hens of the same. One day we noticed that two of the other hens seemed to be chasing after her excessively, and as the days went on, intense pecking started. We thought that she might be sick, and that was the reason they continued relentlessly to peck at her. She ate and drank well, but when the harrassment started, she stopped laying. We removed her from the others, and treated her injury (which was similar to your hen) with a horse wound dressing. It took approximately three weeks before it healed, and she is now the queen of the barn, wandering around as she pleases and following us like a puppy. I attempted to put her back in the flock, which they accepted her and did not chase her, but she screamed and jumped until I took her out. All is well with her injury, and we have had to build her a special nesting box, of which she collects various items from around the barn and puts them in her nest, as well as laying an egg almost every day.

3. 8hipchicks

Aug 7, 2009
    Thanks for your input! May I ask what horse wound treatment you used? My sister rides and I could easily get hold of an equine wound treatment.

Thanks!

4. dlolato

dlolato Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Pryor
    Miller's Equine Wound Care - all organic and I use it on everything (dogs, cats, horses, chickens, goats). I swear by it!!!

5. 8hipchicks

Aug 7, 2009
    UPDATE: Today we are noticing that while Sayuri is still eating and drinking, walking, etc. she seems tired and is sleeping alot. The area around her injury and her little comb are bright pink and her beak is warm and her eye is weeping and the skin around it is swollen. We have moved her into the house from the 3 season plexiglass enclosed porch. There is a raging rain/snow storm today and it's still cold and drafy out there. The would is scabbed over but a little smelly.

I'm thinking I should be putting some antibiotic into her water but not sure what kind is best.

Please help. I would hate to lose this sweet, gentle bird to an infection.

6. 8hipchicks

Aug 7, 2009
    Would appreciate some insight on the best oral antibiotic (or anything) to give this little girl.

My husband spent over $1,000 on vet bills for one of our chickens a couple of months ago and I am trying to treat this sweet girl myself.

The side of her face that sustained the injury is swollen and warm. I'm thinking it's the sinus system that is inflamed. There is no foul smell or puss or anything. Just swelling on that side of the face and around the eye. She's still eating and drinking. She is doing alot of resting today and tucking her head behind her and into her wings.

Please help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by