1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Update in OP* My Chick's neck folds backwards (Video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cajun_Magnolia, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Cajun_Magnolia

Cajun_Magnolia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure what's going on with one of my chicks. She's 3 weeks old, has always been a little smaller, louder, and wobblier than the others. On Thursday, she sounded distressed, so I went in to check on her and found her with her head flat on her back. She can straighten her neck out, but it snaps back all the time as if she's having a seizure or something, especially when she's trying to drink or eat. She'll even sleep that way. If I wrap her in a small towel and hold her, she'll relax and let her neck elongate. I tried to find info about it on BYC and found info on wry neck, but it doesn't seem exactly like other people's descriptions of wry neck.

I've added infant vitamins and a small sprinkling of gatorade powder to her water and I've been giving her water out of a dropper to make sure she doesn't dehydrate. I've also pulled her out of the brooder to feed her so I can help keep her neck straight for her to eat.

Has anyone experienced this with a chick and what ended up happening?

Here's a pic. It's a little dark and blurry because I had other chicks chasing my phone, lol!

[​IMG]

The pic stinks, so I took a video:

**UPDATE**

I went ahead and set up a separate brooder for her so she wouldn't get stepped on anymore and could finally get some rest. The other girls are so rambunctious and were being really rough with her...not on purpose, of course. I also stopped by the feed store and got some non-medicated feed and some poultry vitamins for her water. Crazy thing though, the vitamins come in a 4 oz. packet that you are supposed to mix with 128 gallons of water!! [​IMG] I stink at math, so I just put a small pinch in her quart waterer.

She's having an easier time eating now, but still struggles with drinking bc she has to tilt her head back to swallow and that just makes the neck snap all the way back. Hoping she continues to improve! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    It looks like wry neck or star gazing.

Wry neck is a genetic defect.

Stargazing is a vitamin deficiency of thiamin also called B1. It shows up suddenly when the chicks are about 2 weeks old. It is a vitamin that is deficient in starter rations. A chick given an oral thiamin supplement may recover.

It sounds like vitamins in the water (poultry vitamins) would be good for everyone.

I hope she gets well.

The above from The Chicken Handbook by Gail Damerow

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have heard that polyvisol (infant vitamins) without iron work very well. If that is what you are giving, keep it up. Are you diluting the vitamins or giving it full strength? How long have you been treating the chick?

4. Cajun_Magnolia

Mar 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote:Thanks for the info! I ran out and bought some B1 for her. The infant vitamins has it, but not much.

5. Cajun_Magnolia

Mar 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote:I've been giving her the polyvisol w/o iron, diluted, since Friday. I couldn't get her to take it straight. She just whipped her head around and slung the vitamins all over the place.

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks like stargazing to me. Had an older laying hen do it to me once, gave her some vitamins, cleared it right up

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Ok, I just did a little homework. [​IMG] Give three drops of polyvisol without iron per day. You should see results within 10 days. You should also stop feeding medicated chick started because it blocks the vitamins. Feed regular chick starter. Feed boiled egg yolk and yogurt if the chick is not eating enough. All of this info was found in threads on BYC by searching "polyvisol dosage".

8. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Poor thing! Hope she gets better quick. You can tell she's trying to figure how to deal with it.

9. Cajun_Magnolia

Mar 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote:Thanks so much, that helps a ton! I'll have to find a way to get her to take the vitamins straight without slinging it everywhere. Will I have to keep her off the medicated feed from now on? And what is the medicated feed medicated against? lol

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Thanks so much, that helps a ton! I'll have to find a way to get her to take the vitamins straight without slinging it everywhere. Will I have to keep her off the medicated feed from now on? And what is the medicated feed medicated against? lol

Cocci is what medicated feed prevents chicks from getting. The actual medication is Amprollium.

This is a quote by BYC member NYREDS:

"Terramycin is an Antibiotic which is useful for combatting certain organisms but Coccidia is not one of them.
    Antibiotics are effective against bacteria & Coccidia are protazoa.
    Protazoa require Thyamin to survive. Coccidiostats such as Amprollium prevent Protazoa from absorbing Thyamin so they die.
    It is unusual for adult birds be affected by Coccidiosis. Typically it is a disease of growing birds."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by