*UPDATE* It lives!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I found a chick peeping and the mom wasn't sitting on it and it looks like the butt ripped or something here's a pic!! She's inside, I have a heated bed, and I don't know what to do! I tried getting mama to sit back on it but instead she saw the blood so she TRIED to peck but i took her inside right away!!! Thankfully it is still breathing but if I try to adjust her she starts peeping! Something was bleeding when I saw her outside I'm guessing that came from the cloaca where is looks torn but maybe I'm overreacting and that dries up and falls up later?? Please please help!!
    [​IMG]
    Just to add it's day 25 since mama has been sitting on them. I'm so worried I don't know what happened and if it dies what do I tell my mom when she gets back from LA?? "oh one died..." No I must save it somehow!!!

[​IMG]
    I think it may live.. Go to page 3 and tell me why it suddenly starts bleeding the stops then starts. Still need help.

Haha yes! I brought it back to the mom in the morning.. From the info I thought it would take days for the yolk sac to be absorbed and then getting it on it's feet and such, but it was really fast!! Thanks all.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    wow, sorry but that doesn't look good. Honestly think all you can do is keep it warm and comfortable. Hopefully someone else will reply. [​IMG]

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] hope some one who knows more will post. I hope the chick makes it.

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I'm really gonna cry oh my gosh [​IMG] I'm right next to it on my bed and I don't know what to do for it. This morning when I saw the egg it had one little chick peck, you know when they try to come out, so I don't know what the hell happened!! Why is the cloaca like that? It looks like something connected from it and the hole is big.. Not bleeding I smell blood.

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ..... i cantstand this... someone help me please

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Looks like it got out of the egg before it was ready. The yolk isn't all in and...intestines? But that's not the cloaca, I'm pretty sure about that.
    Idk if it will make it...keep it warm, moist and a quiet place, maybe it will make it with time.

7. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    that exact thing happened to me on day 25. I ended up culling it and putting it out of its misery. Mine also had a ball of meat hanging out. Very messed up

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    It's in misery??? What do I do what do I do... Well atleast 4 of the 5 made it.. If it's not the cloaca what is it??

9. newtochick

newtochick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Quote:Honestly, it looks like everything did not close up the way it should when the chick was growing. It happens to all species on occasion. I am sorry to say, it may not make it, and really there is nothing you can do but keep it warm and wait. Try to understand, sometimes, though it kills us, not all the chicks in a hatch will make it. I lost one 2 days ago from my hatch. It is awful, and you feel helpless, but just be there for the little guy, there is always a chance he will heal up and come through, chickens are like that sometimes! Best of luck hun!

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You need to put in in a small box, place the box on a heating pad, pad on warm, not hot! Place a warm damp washcloth in the box but not against the chick. Cover the box so that it stays warm and to help keep it humid. Either the yolk will absorb with time and the chick will live or it will not and the chick won't make it. I have had them make it through this so all is not lost yet as long as the yolk has not dried and you don't let anyhting pull on the sack to injure the baby.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by