UPDATE!!!! Jersey Giant Chick Sitting on bum ~ can't stand up ~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CK Chickadilly, Mar 29, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Poor thing is scooting around on it's rear & crying. I tried the splint thing & then it just falls on it's face. All the different ways of splinting just don't work! What elses can I try? I don't want to have to cull.....I only have 5 JG eggs, 3 yet to hatch (I hope & the other is fine) What do I do? I am desperate! [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Hon, I'm going to request that a Mod move this to the chicks section so you have a chance at getting quicker response. Sit tight!

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you, both my chicks still can't do anything but scoot. I am so frustrated!

5. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    -check your incubator temperature--if it goes too high near the end of incubation and/or you have poor airflow, bone development will be impaired.

-if you have the hens--are they on a balanced diet with calcium and riboflavin?

Are the legs rubbery, do the joints appear normal, can the chick move the legs vigorously or only weakly? Can you post a picture?

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    What is high for humidity? Mine was about 50ish. Air flow is fine.
    Hens are on a very good diet.
    The legs seem normal other than not having the strength to stand up. It seem to me that her litlle legs can move well, if I prop her up with my fingers she tries to move forward a bit. I think like Jenski said to give her therapy....it might just work.
    The hobbles definately made things worse.

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am so happy!!!! The little one.... when I came home was standing!!!! All by herself! She is trying SO hard!!

I did work with her like Jenski said to do & maybe it has helped already but I can tell her little legs are definately getting stronger!

I think eventually she will be fine. [​IMG] [​IMG] So cute!! What a trooper! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by