Update! Kid died wondering about adoption

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Indiana hens, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Gf's favorite nanny had another still birth. Feel bad for her. Anyone ever have any luck with getting a nanny to take a substitute baby goat? I have not looked for a replacement kid yet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Boy, your title made it sound like a human child died never knowing if he was adopted or not. Glad it's about a goat kid!

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I haven't had any luck, but I've never had a doe mourning. I've had does that will attempt to steal newborns, but it never lasts more than 30 mins or so...

Sorry for your loss. So sad...

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Buff - I thought the SAME thing! I was sitting here almost in tears thinking a poor child died only wanting to be adopted [​IMG] WHEW!

I'm sorry about your baby goat too though... [​IMG] to you and GF

5. Indiana hens

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Was my thinking but never had one cry about it so much. She thinks we are bringing the baby back. She tried cleaned it and started eating the afterbirth. Her second birth and of coarse she did not care about the 1st birth; just wanted back with the herd then.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We've grafted orphan calves onto cows that have lost a calf. Sometimes they pair up without much problem and other times it takes a long time. I'm sure it can be done, it might just take some time.

7. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    We had goats years ago, and we "gave" a baby goat to another mother. We had to hold her and allow the baby to nurse. When the milk goes through the baby's system, the mother goat will smell that and recognize it as her own and will adopt the baby goat. It worked for us. Hope that helps.

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I know a places that takes rescue fawns that have had luck with getting the does to take the fawns, so I would think you could get a doe to take a kid.

9. Indiana hens

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Quote:Ok, sigh! Any breed of baby goat? Are we talking a day or two to get the smell? I have tried before with agoat; but not this diligently. We have another nanny in the nursery that may have 2. I don't like taking a kid from it's mom. Bottle feeding is not my idea of entertainment.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. Western Chick

Western Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Western MN
    It's certainly possible...

The trick is to get the new baby to get the new nannys milk into her and passing through. Once baby gets mom's milk, it gets mom's smell, that's how the nannies recognize it's theirs.

You'll have to get an orphan kids soon. In the mean time milk the nanny and save the colostrum, you can bottle feed it to the orphan kid to get a head start.

Some nannies aren't picky and will let anyone sneak a drink, others are more picky. If you have trouble getting mom to let baby nurse you can tie her up or use a grafting gate- basically a head catch to hold her while baby drinks. There are also grafting powders you can get. It's sprinkled on the baby to make the mom accept it easier. We've used it with cattle but never with goats.

Once the baby passes mom's milk through (pees) it should be a done deal but until you're certain it has been accepted, keep close watch to make sure the baby is getting it's nourishment. Baby goats can be VERY fragile.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by