UPDATE!!! Krys and Henk are right again...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by walkswithdog, Oct 15, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    [​IMG]

Well, you nailed it. His first progeny are ALL black. He's black based and has something affecting his color to appear blue. I had hoped blue but nope. Bred to Delaware he has produced nothing but all blacks. I'll breed one of the girls back to him to look for birchen in spring.

You all rock. Gene gurus indeed.

I'll try and get pics but it's VERY faint right now - his oldest chicks are SHOWING Birchen! Silver but I'll take it. The slight silver lacing on the front is beginning to show on the oldest chicks.

He's birchen... dance dance... he's birchen......

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    For the edification of all - what is "he"??? Besides totally gorgeous.

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sheridan is a fourth generation, smooth feathered, Sizzle. And he's actually gotten MORE spectacular in color but I couldn't find his newest pic.

His progeny have no foot feathers, but black faces, combs, legs, and feet and they are all black and near standard sized. I'll breed his daughters back to him to check out that red and see if it's birchen or some weird fluke.

If it's birchen it should show up properly. If it's just some weird red/gold fluke it'll be all over the second generation. If it's birchen he's a keeper. If it's not - he's for sale... He is just flipping spectacular to look at when he's out free ranging on the grass.

Like fireworks in the yard.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good golly hes a cutie!

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Yeah that's why he's still here, for a Sizzle that comb/face is a DQ but I'll fix that in his progeny if his color really is Birchen.

Of course if it isn't -- I somehow ended up with a bunch of bantam birchen cochins... funny how that happens.

And some blue and black silkies...

And a whole new generation of blue/black/splash Sizzles are hatching all winter.

By next year I should have it reset - even if he himself isn't Birchen. Chuckle.

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bump for update...

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that if he is E^R you'll see a bit of lacing on his breast. He is a pretty boy [​IMG]

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I don't know if I'll save his first girls to breed back or not. LOL somehow it seems a crime to Sizzle a Delaware. But they're very engaging social birds, and the gypsy face I find really attractive. So maybe. When I saw the beginnings of silver on the older ones feathers I was surprised, I expected this generation to stay black. Guess you never know what's behind a barred columbian patterned bird.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i am so lost on what you're doing here since i don't know what birchen is, but this little guy is adorably hilarious...
    i love what his "hair" is doing up there on top of his head.. lol...
    i havea frazzle that i'm thinking of getting a silky roo for but you said this guys is a smooth sizzle, does that mean one parent was a frizzle and one a silkie, so he got the smooth instead of the frizzle? what are you beeding him to? and what is the hoped for outcome?? all this is so new to me... i should probly just pick one project to follow and stick with it.. lol... but they're all so much fun!!!

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    You SOOOO need my little blue chicken now - that is if she is a she! They would be very complimentary!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by