update link added for band-aid splint

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHappychick, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I cant seem to make the Band-Aid splint thing you are so fond of work, would you please do one with pics? I have seen the great illustration and you would think that would be enough, but every time I go to do it the chick just falls over and can not walk around. I once tried a splint with tape and a straw and in theory it should have worked but did not. I always see you say that this works so well so please show me as if you are showing a very slow person lol

I could have pm'ed you but thought that maybe I am not the only one with troubles here, but then again I just might be lol like I said I am a little slow at times [​IMG]

Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I found this somewhere and it helped me tremendously to better visualize this therapy. I even used it successfully on a chick we got last week.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Hope it helps!

eta: the chick may not be able to stand up right away; it'll take a little while to get it a)used to having it's legs under it again and b)strong enough to use them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thank you unfortunatly this little one did not make it, there must have been other issues as well But I marked that page as a favorite so I will have it for next time [​IMG]

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    AHappychick - sorry your little guy didn't make it.

kikinono - thanks for the link. Good information!

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Bummer! It is so sad to lose chicks. Sorry [​IMG]

6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thanks guys

kikinono are those lavender eggs? who lays them? they are very pretty almost like my golden comets color but pinker [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. One Acre Wonder Farm

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Thanks! they're my buff orp girls eggs [​IMG] one is the most beautiful shade of pink; others are tan/pink. They're such girly girls!

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Are you tying the legs together? That is called a hobble and it's supposed to prevent movement. It's very stressful on the chick, so when I have to hobble them to fix splayed legs I isolate them and wrap them in towel. I take the hobble off so they can eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by