UPDATE...MORE PROBLEMS NEED ADVICE ASAP

mollymae

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 4, 2007
Hi everyone, I have 3 hens (one year old) (2 RIR) (1 white cochin) Something is wrong with Molly (the white chochin) She has been hiding in her nest box (never comes out) and not laying for almost 3 months. I thought she was broody or molting, but I don't think it lasts that long. She has been acting rather strange. When we free range them (my hubby and I are always out there with them when we freerange) I noticed she has been extremely emotional and scared, ruffling her feathers, making loud noises etc. Like I said, this has been going on 3 months now. Just the other day, I notice the one RIR was chasing her and picking on her. Molly is scared to death of her and just runs.

Now, I took Molly to the vet and the vet told me to give hrer Doxycycline and Tylan Powder along with a probiotic, so I have been for 2 days now. Also, I caged up the one that was chasing her and now she seems to be coming out of her nesting/egg box. But whenever the bully looks at her, she starts screaming and runs, even though the bulley is caged up.

I feel badly about keeping the Bully (Brady).caged up, but I don't want her to hurt Molly. What do you think is going on with Molly and Brady? The other one just keeeps out of it. Was/Is Molly sick and Brady was picking on her? Should I still give Molly the antibiotics; how do I know what the problem is?

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE.............MOLLY WAS DOING FINE COMING OUTSIDE AND SEEMING LESS STRESSED SINCE THE BULLY IS CAGED UP, BUT I JUST HAD THEM FREE RANGING AND NOW BOTH GIRLS ARE ATTACKING HER AT THE BACK OF THE NECK AND HER HEAD AND BEAK.......WHAT'S GOING ON ALL OF A SUDDEN???? DO YOU THINK SHE'S SICK? WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Last edited:
it sounds to me like she is a broody hen....i have had some hens just stay broody....some hens will stay broody till they hatch some chicks...im not sure about the fighting....i would say its a dominance thing have you htought about introducing a roo?....i have a friend that had hens that all faught all the time he introduced a roo and it all stoped..but ...that might not be the case for you...maybe someone els will have some usfull info
wink.png

Without a diagnosis of some sort of real illness, I'd be reluctant to give the antibiotics. That's just me - I'm very relucatant to medicate unless I know exactly what the diagnosis is, or at least a set of symptoms that fits an infection of some type.

It sounds like you have a smart chicken to me - she knows she has a bully after her so is in hiding. The fact that she has perked up when you moved the bully in solitary confinement sort of nails it for me....

That's just one opinion though.

As far as what to do...can you divide the pen in two and give bully chicken a friend? Sometimes there are just personality clashes and there isn't much you can do about it, especially in a small flock of 3 - there just isn't anything else to distract the bully's attention from picking on the target hen all the time.

idunno.gif

No, all three share a nest box. Molly's just be hogging it. So, do you think she's sick or is it a personality clash. Should I continue with the antibiotics? Thank you

try adding another nest box, brady might be mad she's hogging it, and instead of running scared molly might be running to hog it.
as for antibiotics i only use them WHEN i know someone is sick with WHAT. otherwise you breed superbugs. and i use the entire prescription, not stopping just cause someone's feeling better. that goes for 2 foots, 4 foots, and feathers. just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with KierBri. You need to add another nest box so that they have the choice and Molly can't hog it. Even though you generally only need one nest box for four chickens, this is a case where I would certainly offer more than one.

I also agree that I never give medicine to anyone/thing unless I know what is wrong.

You said that she never comes out of the nest box but then mentioned free ranging and she seemed emotional? Does she come out to free range? Or does she 100% of the time stay in the nest box except to come out for food and water?

I've heard of people having a broody that sat for three months because she never hatched a chick. I think that's rare but certainly possible.

If she is coming out to free range at times then it really sounds more like she's just afraid of being bullied by Brady.

Quote:
Thanks...I'll have hubby make another nest box. Yes, she comes out to free range, but not by choice; we have to put her outside and then she runs for the door to go back in. But Brady (the bully) never bothered her before....this is just since Friday. Now, I just noticed that they're both going after her!!!!!! What should I do? Thanks so much

It does sound like she's broody.

Personally, I'm concerned about her health after sitting for so long already, not to mention the stress of being tormented. If it was me I think I'd put her in a wire dog kennel, with no bedding, just food and water and see if you can snap her out of it. I've not done that but people here say it can take a couple of days or even a week but it usually (key word: usually
smile.png
) works to stop them from being broody.

Another option is to move her to a separate, safe area with her own nest and give her some fertile eggs (just a few) to sit on. Since she's been sitting so long she may not continue for another 21 days.

In the meantime, build another nest box so they have at least two to chose from and see if that helps with the bullying. Sometimes chickens are just bullies and there's nothing you can do except rehome one of them.

Quote:
Thanks so much. So, do you mean that they're picking on her because she's broody? Is she giving off some kind of attitude to them to make them do that? She is such a sweety, though. So, she's not sick? Does this make any sense? I'm so confused and upset. Thanks again so so much

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom