UPDATE new chicks Pics White Silkie Hen & white silkie Roo=grey chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Seeing Silkies, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Hi everyone,

Is this odd or the norm, I have a white hen & roo together and i just hatched out one of there eggs & it is grey chick??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    A pic is needed to see what you're talking about.

If an even over all body gray then its either a double silver gene white or its one of the odd whites that I get here. There is a possibility because of your location that your birds came out of my blood line and is the odd white.

If its the whites like mine I learned that George Mahilik bred his to black and got blues.

And if its the same gene line as mine that peep is a male.

This is what they look like at hatch.

[​IMG]

This is what happens after about F4 breeding the whites.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    HI
    I got my white hen ( with no spots ) & some others from Judy with the american paint silkies.. I am hoping for the gene in her & the grey chick gives me the hope. I will post a pic in a few.

4. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Here is mom & dad

[​IMG]

Here is what I got @ about 16 hours old & it is the 2nd egg she layed, the 1st egg did not get out and died it was white, all white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Judy's paint's are white with grey spots

and this one seems to be grey with white spots, the are a few spots with just white feathers,

I have more of her eggs due to hatch in a couple of day's
    cant wait to see what I get

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    what you have is 2 parents with the recessive white genes, you can get any color under the sun when that happens, but its a fun thing

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:?????Huh?????

Not sure what you are trying to say, unless it is that if you breed a recessive white bird to a non-recessive white, you can get anything.

However, this is a white to white breeding. Is there ANY chance that another rooster gt to the hen, or that a different hen laid the egg?

I will have to think on what could have happened to come up with ideas on how two whites could have anything except a white chick.

7. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN

Not sure what you are trying to say, unless it is that if you breed a recessive white bird to a non-recessive white, you can get anything.

However, this is a white to white breeding. Is there ANY chance that another rooster gt to the hen, or that a different hen laid the egg?

I will have to think on what could have happened to come up with ideas on how two whites could have anything except a white chick.

I have others but everyone is in the own pen, all pens have tops. Since this hen was a chick ( I have had her sonce she was a few weeks old ) I have had her in with this roo, Knowing she came from Judy the one with the paints I planned on hatching her eggs. I have saved all of her eggs since she started to lay, 2 more should hatch this week.. I will up date as to what the other 2 look like asap -
    Thanks so much

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI

there is a dominant white gene and a recessive white gene, if one/both of the silkies has the dominate, all the chicks will be white (the white cancels (bleaches)out all the other colors), if both parents have the recessive you can get all the colors that have been bred into that birds line, because the other colors are dominant

you do not find the recessive gene till you get 2, henk69 can tell you more about it than me

9. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Well I will hatch these ones out & hope for a paint or some other odd colors.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

there is a dominant white gene and a recessive white gene, if one/both of the silkies has the dominate, all the chicks will be white (the white cancels (bleaches)out all the other colors), if both parents have the recessive you can get all the colors that have been bred into that birds line, because the other colors are dominant

you do not find the recessive gene till you get 2, henk69 can tell you more about it than me

You are confusing dominance, which is NOT between different genes, but rather than between different variations (alleles) of the SAME gene. Recessive white is an OFF switch. A bird that is recessive white has two copies of the gene. Therefore, it MUST provide a copy to every one of its offspring. When paired with another recessive white, it too must provide each offspring with a copy of recessive white. This means that the offspring of these two birds will always inherit two copies of recessive white, and therefore will BE white. Only if one of the parents does not contribute recessive white will all the other colours/patterns present in the bird be revealed.

If both parents are dominant white, the chicks will inherit a copy from each parent and be dominant white.

If both parents are recessive white, the chicks will inherit a copy from each parent and be recessive white.

If one parent is dominant white and the other is recessive white, the chick will inherit one copy of dominant white which will prevent the expression of black pigment. The recessive white gene will do nothing. Red/gold pigment will show. (It takes two copies of dominant white to prevent red/gold pigment.)

If one parent is dominant white and also has one copy of recessive white, and the other is recessive white, the results will be the same as just mentioned, except that the chick could end up with two copies of recessive white that prevent esxpression of red/gold.

Anyways, there is no way that the chick should be able to express black pigment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by