*UPDATE*...new hen sneezing bad????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KooKoe, Nov 23, 2010.

1. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    *UPDATE* The Teramycin has worked. Sadee is feeling much better. She is scratching up a storm in her quarentine cage. Tearing paper and complaining at me every time I walk past. Her comb seems redder too. She still sneezes a bit, but in general she's looking great. She is a pretty hen and that's why I bought her... Can't wait to set her free to roam with my others. Speaking of the others....I have also started them on Teramycin. The hens looking fine, but my roo is still hoarse. His crow is a misserable Err Err EEEEEeeee ooooooo. Makes me laugh every time (much to his disgust).

Hi, I just got a new hen today. an OEG, she seems very young still, maybe 7 months old. She is in perfect health, but this evening I noticed she was sneezing quite bad. she also seems to gasp for air some times. I took her out of the main coop again and have her in the house for closer observasion.

can chickens get a cold? she has no visible discharge, just the sneezing and gasping. if it is a cold, can she pass it on to my other chickens and what is the best course of treament? My vet is not at all clued up when it comes to chickens?

and this might sound stupid, but could she have got a cold from me? I'm very sick at the moment??? Just a thought?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sorry, but you may have wished you had quarantined her to make sure she was healthy before puting her with you flock.

Chickens don't get colds, look up CRD, there are a number of different varieties that get lumped in under this.

In general sickness does not pass between humans and chickens... H1N1 / avain flu would be an exception to that though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I have a hen who has just started doing this.. I've had her for 3 months....
    I've tried giving them stuff in their water for respiratory infection... didn't help

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    if rattle chest and swollen face I give tylan 50 .35cc 3 to 5 days it it helps so much. Make sure you seperate from the healthy birds. Good luck!

5. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    ok, now she seems to have a runny tummy.... Oh dear! I'm going to take her to my local vet and see if they might have a remedy for her! hold thumbs guys, the vets around here only work with cats and dogs....[​IMG]

6. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    Local vet can't help. She knows about Tylan, but does not have any medication in stock. Knows nothing about chicken. can you believe, she asked me where the chicken's nostrils are?????[​IMG]

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Sep 7, 2010
    Any update on how the chicken is doing? Do you get feed from some sort of feed stores, around here anyway most feed stores also carry a good slection of antibiotics and other animal health products.

8. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    update on Sadee. She is still the same. clogged up nose, sneezing. but otherwise seems normal. she layed an egg yesterday (in my shower [​IMG]), and I'm keeping her in the house isolated from my other chickens. I took her for a brief walk outside twice today and she scratches around. She seems fine, just this sneezing and it sounds like she gargelling? but there is no visible discharge at all? Can she maybe have something stuck in her nose?
    [​IMG]
    this is a picture of her the night I got her (Obviously before I noticed the sneezing).

9. Clay Valley Farmer

Sep 7, 2010
    If she has some rattling coming from the chest then it is more than something stuck in her nose.

Neo-Chlor which is a tetracyclin and neomycin mix is one product that helps with some respritory related infections. Duramycin another option. Tylan and Baytril as well on the stronger end or penicillin G on the weaker end. LOTS of options depending on what you can get. Barring that nutritional supliments, apple cider viniger in the water, good food, probiotics, electrolites and TLC, might not dirrectly help but you can feel good for making her comfortable.

Given symptoms have presisted after moving the hen in and that the others are ok for now enviromental dust/mold/air quality sounds like it can be crossed off as a cause.

Depending on what variety of CRD the hen may have antibiotics may help some but in all likelyhood will not cure the hen. She may be far more risk to your flock than she is worth as she may carry the infection even if symptoms go away.

10. KooKoe

Nov 14, 2010
    ok, so the big question is then, lets say she does have a CRD and she gets better, will she always be a carrier and pose a threat to my flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by