UPDATE: New pics pg2 - what am I???

BlazeJester

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midway, GA
This is the only chick that's not even close to feathering out - her supposed "sister" Columbian Wyandotte is filling out beautifully and has a wonderful white color. She is now 6 weeks and still doesn't have feathers in her chest or on her back.

at 1 week:
102179_wyandotte_2_australorp_2.jpg

at 5 weeks:
102179_img_2289.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
why do you say rooster? Seems a little young to tell yet.
Edited b/c I said dark cornish, and after looking more closely (I'm on my tiny netbook) I realized color is wrong. I think it's a silver laced wyandotte.
smile.png

Last edited:
I thought silver laced wyandotte had black on the edges and white on the insides of the feathers? I'm really interested to see how this one turns out and would not at all be disappointed in a roo... I'm getting jealous of all the gorgeous pictures people keep posting!!!
droolin.gif

Quote:
why do you say rooster? Seems a little young to tell yet.
Edited b/c I said dark cornish, and after looking more closely (I'm on my tiny netbook) I realized color is wrong. I think it's a silver laced wyandotte.
smile.png

Those legs look rather beefy to me and slow to feather. I think rooster. Do I KNOW rooster? No not at this age. Just looks like a boy to me.

Certainly isn't a pure Columbian wyandotte nor SLW, but does have a rose comb. Could it be a cross of both varieties?

*Shouldn't*, but could be a mutt.

I ordered from mypetchicken.com, which I understand has a contract with Meyer hatchery. I'm not familiar with their reputation so I can't speak to the likelihood of mixed blood. Wouldn't think it would reflect too well though... Although perhaps they were lacking Columbian pullets and made an unauthorized "substitution".

Edited to add:

Her "Columbian Wyandotte" sister has a single comb, so I think is probably mixed breed also? Or can they get the rose comb from the BR blood? Considering these instances, though, I'm not expecting too terribly much here, nor am I trying to be a stickler for a breed - just curious what's going to emerge from this one and whether someone recognizes it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom