UPDATE (New pix post #11) Breed ID help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lurach, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Lurach

Lurach Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Fort Stewart
    I picked up two chicks at TSC on 15 April. Chick #1 (Tiki) is a bantam and chick #2 (Dinner - my kids love a joke!) came from the pullet tank. Can anyone help me ID the breed of these chicks? Also, I think Tiki was only a day or two old when purchased, but Dinner seems to be a bit further ahead in development. I'd like to know approximately how old they are. I'm new to chicken raising, so I'm not sure if standard sized chicks just grow faster than bantams. I know it's early to tell the sex, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed!!) they're both pullets. We can't keep a rooster here. Any help would be appreciated!! [​IMG]

Chick #1 - Tiki
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 - Dinner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Lurach

Apr 21, 2011
    Fort Stewart
    Bumping this because I have to go out of town this afternoon, and I'm eager to have some idea before I leave. Thanks! [​IMG]

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I think number one may be a golden Sebright, number two is probably a rock cross or what TSC calls a Tetra Tint. They usually grow up all white. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Edit:I think number one is a Roo also. Thick legs, and already developing a comb. Sorry [​IMG] they are probably both 2 weeks old

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. Lurach

Apr 21, 2011
    Fort Stewart
    Sorin - Thanks for your reply! Can you tell patience is not one of my virtues? LOL

May I ask, what makes you think Tiki is a roo? I'm trying to learn all of this, so I'll take all the info I can get.

5. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Hi, I edited my response but you must have been posting at the same time, it's the legs, they are quite thick for his size, and already developing a comb. I have a golden Sebright in my brooder right now, a pullett I ordered and there is no sign of a comb on her, and legs are thinner and she is the same age about 2 and a half weeks.

6. Lurach

Apr 21, 2011
    Fort Stewart
    Awww I am going to be very sad if Tiki is a Roo, but thank you for elaborating. I must have been too eager and posting when you edited, like you said. So much to learn!

7. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    This is a great place to learn! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    I don't know what the first chick is, but I do know that it is not a Sebright. Here are some pictures of my Sebright chick. Note the bluish legs, rose comb, and the gold head and dark body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could yours be a bantam RIR??

9. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I stand corrected! [​IMG]

10. Lurach

Apr 21, 2011
    Fort Stewart
    Quote:Your Sebright chick is gorgeous! Thanks for your input. My chick could be a bantam RIR, but I'm a little thrown off by the patterning on it's wing feathers. I'll try to post a better pic of it's wings tomorrow.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by