Update! Nigerian dwarf is freshening!! (Pic PG 1&3)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by griffin45, Dec 21, 2008.

1. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Please, someone help. One of our ND's gave birth at 1:20 this afternoon. The kid has not nursed yet. How long before we worry?
    Also, Mama has expelled the afterbirth but now she looks like she is in labor again!? Could she have another baby?
    Lastly, it is bitter cold out and will get down to the teens tonight. Our kidding pen is an old corn crib, but it is going to get so very cold tonight. Any suggestions on this?
    Please respond with any and all information. I am waiting patiently (NOT) at the computer for your input. Thanx.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Maybe twins? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yes..if you think it will be too cold..you should move them to a warmer place...garage..basement...bathroom..lol....as for the milk..i dont know!..i feel your panic though!.[​IMG]....someone will chime in to help..[​IMG]...

4. griffin45

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    We have been thinking there are twins. The doe is three years old and probably has been pregnant before. But, she has already expelled the afterbbirth - so it seems unlikely. Unless my husband and I are completely ignorant and that doesn't matter. Perhaps someone knows!?
    We thought hatching chicken eggs was stressful and exhilerating! Eggs are nothing.[​IMG] [​IMG]:weee

5. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    If she has expelled her afterbirth then there should not be anymore babies in there!! lol. As for the milk, the kid should be up on his feet and trying to move around. If he is give them another couple of hours before you worry about him feeding. Normally does leave the kids in the nest and go off to eat/drink or whatever then come back 3 or 4 times during the day to nurse them so they only get little bits at a time. Is her milk bag full? It should be very swollen and the skin almost shiny. If your doe is really tame and doesnt mind you around her, try squeezing one of her teats and see if milk dribbles out....if it does then everything should be fine. As for the cold weather, try moving them to a garage or barn or basement or something, if you have absolutly no where else to put them try to get some heat lamps and set up so that when the mother leaves the baby can be warm under the lamp.

I hope I helped a little!! Oh yeah, one more thing.....PICTURES [​IMG]

6. griffin45

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    That's what we were thinking (about the afterbirth) but strange things can happen. [​IMG] Baby is now sucking everythign but the udder! We will check for milk. Thanks.
    Please keep sending your ideas, opinions and expertise. We appreciate all of it!
    Pictures will be coming very soon. [​IMG]

7. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Oh gooood!! If the baby is at least trying then everything should be fine, if you want to help you can just by showing the kid where the teat is, but I am sure he will fine it eventually.

If she still looks like she is in labor it might just be her contracting back down to "normal" size. If she continues to do it like, in the morning or something I would call your vet. I am sure everything will be fine though!! Is the kid a doe or buck?

edit** I forgot to mention, when my does kid, I dip the kids cord in a little bit of rubbing alcohol after its seperated, that will cut the chances of it getting infected [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

You need a goat-smarter person to chime in, but I think cold can discourage the kid from nursing,,, I'd say bring them in to a warm place, unless someone smarter than me chimes in. /// ok I see that she/he's trying to nurse,,, that's good, and I used iodine for the umbilical cord. Still I'd keep an eye on em. That was a long time till nursing.

9. griffin45

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Thank you very, very much. I just checked and no milk comes out . Mama's udder is HUGE, (she's even having difficulty walking) but I just squeezed both teats and got nothing. Will that change or do we need to do something?[​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    is the baby nursing yet?....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by