1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

update of my flock and other life stuff (lots of photos)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by laurenhill11245, Nov 18, 2013.

1. laurenhill11245

laurenhill11245 Out Of The Brooder

Hey all you chicken enthusiasts! it's good to be back at BYC after quite a few months away! I have alot to update on too unfortunately not all good! anyway how is everyone? and more importantly how are your feathered friends Id love to hear from you!

Now onto the updates! well I finished my degree, graduation is next week! (excited) and consequently I've been getting loads of shifts at work recently! hence the lack of updates and time spent on BYC :(

I'll start with the sad news :( a few months ago my beloved Olive passed away
    [​IMG]

she was old, I never knew exactly how old but this was her 5th home and she'd been at two of her previous homes for a year each so it was safe to say she was at least 3 years old. Age just got the best of her :(

and that's not where the bad news ends I'm afraid..... all my German Langshans bar Roo (the cockerel) and his daughter were killed by a fox :( safe to say I was upset, also all my chicks I had hatched this year except 2 were also killed. I have since bought an electric fence to hopefully stop it happening again, We are also going to make the original fence better.

Also my most favorite bird ever! my little Darwin the silver dorking cockerel died 2 weeks ago. We came to the conclusion he had a heart attack. He was about 2 years old, I miss him but at least he didn't suffer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIP Handsome boy :(

anyway onto some better news! :D I got given to me 17 hens, varying breeds and ages and a large house for free! the people had to move and get rid of them so I took them in :) I separated them between my old big house and my new one so they have plenty of space! mostly they are just red hybrids with the odd welsummer, a brown leghorn and what I believe to be an araucana possibly and a small bantam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my three big chicks from this year are looking well! Mendel the cuckoo maran cockerel, buffy the buff orpington hen and the unamed cream legbar x hen :)
    [​IMG]

And we now have ducks! they are varying breeds (alll mixes) and I will
    [​IMG]

hatch some ducklings of I get chance!

Last week I found and brought home a little cockerel who had been abandoned on the moor :( I named him Lucky no idea what breed he is
    [​IMG]

and today my uncle brought me a new hen and cockerel, he is living in luckys house as they don't fight and she is in my bantam house. This brings my official count up to 29 :) 5 hens and 1 cockerel in my bantam house, 2 cockerels and 9 hens in my old big house, 1 cockerel and 11 hens in my new house :)
    [​IMG]

I bought myself a new pony and my friend bought my other one
    [​IMG]
    this is me with my new horse (on the left, fully black, she is a dales pony) and my best friend with the other pony that we originally shared :)

and my doggy had puppies yey!
    [​IMG]

anyway I would love to hear all about your flocks if you can! and see photos :)

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Congratulations on your flock and other animals! It seems like your last few months were very busy! Glad your back on backyard chickens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by