*Update*Oh please help! Warning Graphic Pics

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
My chicky, that I had to seal with wax after dropping it made it most out of it's shell or it's Momma helped it one. I went to check on it's progress and there were ants on it!! I scooped her up and have her inside under heat lamps...but she doesn't look right... Her abdomen looks all wrong...or am I wrong?? I certainly don't want to cull if she has a chance know what I mean?

UPDATE:
I wrapped the chicky in a wet paper towel under a heat lamp and have been keeping it moist. I went to check on it and it has detached it's yolk...Yea...I don't know if what is left is supposed to be there or what...but it is chirping and trying to get upright on it's legs...
Anywho so there is the update...wait n see.
fl.gif

Update #2:
I went to check on her this morning and she was all fluffy and full of energy!! I was so happy to see it made it! I checked it's abdomen and everything looks good so I took her out to Momma where she and the other babies greeted her!

I can't thank y'all enough for being here!!! love

53596_dsc08366.jpg

Her yolk hasn't been absorbed.

53596_dsc08367.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I would give him some warm sugar water and polyvisol drops(liquid children's vitamins from walmart or any drug store) every 2 hours and just leave it in the bator for the next 4-6 hours.

Wrap the abdomen and yolk sack with a moist / wet paper towel or washcloth. The yolk should finish absorbing within 12 hours.
hugs.gif

I also did a search on the forum for others that have had this happen, here is some more advice "I would GENTLY dampen the yolk with warm water, place in a humid incubator and lay it on a nice warm, wet paper towel in the bator. Just leave it be as you don't want it to snag the sac with a toenail. I have had this happen on several occasions and usually the warm, wet paper towel and humiidty help it to absorb the yolk. Good luck!" https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378342

Last edited:
Not an expert here but it looks like the area (umbilical cord) that attaches to the yolk is still attached (shouldn't be upon hatching) and the chick hasn't absorbed all the nutrients into its abdomen. This is a place for infection to start which could become life threatening. I hope someone with more experience chimes in fr you. I'd keep it moist with some warm sterile saline until some else can answers your post.
306.gif

Ok thanks, I have it wrapped in a wet towel...I don't have a bator though Just a lamp and a little plastic box. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Thanks so much for everyone's help! I really appreciate it!!

She looks like she should be ok if you can keep that yolk moist to absorb. She was just a lil early. It might help if you put her in a teacup on top of a moist paper towel as well as wrapped, so she doesn't flail around to stay on her feet. If she's secured on the sides to remain upright, she should settle down and finish absorbing it.

Ked, I missed your post and now it's too late.
sad.png

UPDATE:
I wrapped the chicky in a wet paper towel under a heat lamp and have been keeping it moist. I went to check on it and it has detached it's yolk...Yea...I don't know if what is left is supposed to be there or what...but it is chirping and trying to get upright on it's legs...
Anywho so there is the update...wait n see.

Last edited:
Can you get a picture of 'what is left'? Because I'm fairly certain in the top pictures, the yolk is mostly inside of the chick. What it looks as though it is attached to (the string between abdomen and shell) is the 'waste' portion of the egg. If this is the case, then you don't need to worry too much.

Well no need! I went to check on her this morning and she was all fluffy and full of energy!!I was so happy to see it made it! I checked it's abdomen and everything looks good so I took her out to Momma where she and the other babies greeted her!

I can't thank y'all enough for being here!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom