****UPDATE**** OMGosh....I CRACKED AN EGG!!!! pic.....IT PIPPED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mathesonfarm, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I was putting my eggs into lockdown and when I was taking them out of the turning and putting them into the egg carton, I dropped one onto the wire floor of the incubator and it cracked, a fairly large crack! A couple drops of fluid came out, too. Did I kill my chick? What do I do...anything? Please help, Im worried!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If it is oozing then it would be nearly impossible to seal for lock down. Don't feel badly, accidents happen to everyone with incubating eggs. I would remove it since it is leaking and continue on with the others.

3. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Its not continuely leaking....it dripped maybe 2 drops of fluid and then that was it.

4. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    [​IMG]

Sorry, not a very good picture but at least you can see the size of the crack.

5. Maxbeard

Maxbeard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Aiken
    I dropped one of my last hatch on day 19. It was fairly smashed up, but the membrane was intact. I did not have much hope for it, but on day 21 it hatched. Just give it a chance.

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I have heard of people who put a small piece of tape over the crack, and continue on.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use new skin or wax (melt the tip of a crayon) to seal cracks. Both have resulted in hatches. You have to be sure the egg is dry and not leaking to get a seal though.

8. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Ok, I just covered the crack with wax! I hope so much that I didnt kill my chick! Im thinking that since it is so close to their hatch date that I might have some luck. At least I didnt do this a couple of days into incubation...right?
    I guess only time will tell...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    By this time the chick is pretty fully developed and needs only to build the strength to get out, I believe. It has protection from bone breakage by the fluid inside, and by its curled up shape. It is very likely to hatch anyway. I pushed my thumb through a shell top on Day 19 also, put New Skin over the egg, and the egg hatched.
    Keep us all posted as to what happens!

10. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:is that a pip too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by