Update on Abby my wry neck silkie hen She is back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Sep 1, 2009.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well although she is very much improved there is still somthing wrong with her, it is almost like she has nerological problems.

Symptoms She lifts her legs up over her head just to take a step also if she is outside in the grass she falls on her side somtimes. She is still in a coop by herself she eats drinks poops fine. Her head she can hold up but has a bad kink in it. I also keep her on poly vi sol each day.
    She loses ALOT of feathers everyday. Her head never comes 100 percent erect only about 75%.

It was very hard to get pictures of what I am talking about but I just took these this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwwww. I'm so happy that she has improved! I had a silkie start getting seizures. She improved, then about 5 weeks later she died. I am wondering if silkies have more problems than regular chickens. I think she had hit her head, which would have caused the seizures. Best of luck to your beautiful girl. [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Mine did get a bonk on the head while eating my barred rock hen who is quite a bit younger got her on the top of the head over the food dish.

4. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    My EE had wry or crooked neck as a baby. I followed Alan Stanford's recommendations and he improved, but not as much as a couple of others that I have treated. He still has a crook and walks a bit sideways, but otherwise does well. He is the low man on the totem pole and I do have to be careful of his mixing with the other roos. He is kept with his 3 hens in a coop/run area with some free ranging with the others under my supervision. [​IMG]

5. fourfeathers

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Is she with other chickens? Just a suggestion....I would add a vit B complex as well as the vit E + selenium depending on how long this has been going on. I would also trim her feathers around her head to improve her vision. With the crooked neck added to her silkie head feathers, she is at a disadvantage as far as finding food and protecting herself. You can go to Browneggblueegg.com and scroll down to an article about trimming silkie's. I have a silkie with no problems, but I do trim his feathers to help him see and it has helped him tremendously and put him on more of an even keel with the others.

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    She is in her own coop and she has been for 3 weeks now she is on poly vi sol though

7. fourfeathers

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    How old was she when this happened, and how old now, was it an injury? If so I would read Alan's recommendations and look into treating as he prescribed. If injury, then there could be inflammation which prednisone might help with.

8. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Very sorry to hear about your chicken. I have 4 that look just like her. [​IMG]

9. fourfeathers

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    The ones that I've had have all been rescues as chicks from the feedstore who came to me with this problem, which can be as a result of head injury, neurological/orthopedic issues related to breed or nutrition. Botulism can even present with wry neck as a partial symptom. If you have 4 that have this, just curious whether they were acquired that way or bred in your flock?

10. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well I only have one she was bonked on the head by a at the time 8 week old Barred rock who got a little to excited at dinner time. I purchased he rfrom a farm down the road as a pq silkie hen. She has been this way for 3 weeks now and she is 13 weeks old. I think it is common in this breed although she is very sweet and cute she will be my last silkie they are to sensitive in my opinion. Ooops that's not totally true I do have a patridge silkie roo he is fine but they are not in together.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by