Update on Barred Rock Cockerel

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rodriguezpoultry, May 6, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So...after March 27, my barred rock cockerel was 5 months old. I took this photo the week before we left for the show:

[​IMG]

As you can see to the left, the Langshan cockerel was in the same pen. It was just too cold to separate all the birds without providing a heat source.

Now.....the awesomeness that came from separating them. This is him...April 27:
    [​IMG]

His tail doesn't normally stand down but he was thinking of nabbing the girl behind him...

I think he's looking great for only 6 months old! No WONDER he wasn't holding his tail up at the show...he didn't have his main tail feathers in!

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Oh oh jealous, totally jealous. You do know that when he pairs up with your girls you HAVE to send me eggs... he's getting to be a really good looker. And I soooo need a better tail set here.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Fantastic barring and ok type, which is so hard to find on the standard rocks! Beautiful boy

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, that barring is close to impossible to find in a standard BR. His comb could be better, but that's easier to breed for than the great color pattern or a good body type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by