Update on broken eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newTexan2chickens, Jun 28, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I posted last week asking about egg eaters because I brought in 2 new hens and the next day had 2 broken eggs, the day after 1 broken egg and 1 good one.

I moved one of the hens out and isolated her to see if it would stop. The next day I got 3 good eggs (including the isolated hen egg). Next day I had 1 good egg and 1 that was cracked, but not open. After that all good eggs. I moved isolated hen back into the main coop (well it rained and she moved herself back in during the storm!) and the next 3 days I have had all good eggs... 2 to 3 per day from the 4 hens old enough to lay! So whatever it was that happened it is over... thankfully! Maybe just a run of weak shells?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe not weak shells as much as nest - hopping hens.[​IMG] Is there any way you can set up an extra nest - with a few golf balls? It might help , can't hurt to try?

3. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have 3 nests... all with golf balls. I did add some brown fake eggs to the nests too.... dang near picked them up a time or two myself! I figured maybe the new hens had never seen brown eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by