update on broody situation and egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fiddlebanshee, Aug 12, 2013.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    So, yesterday, I moved the 5 week olds to their new forever home (still separate from the juvenile chickens in that coop) and I put the two 2 y/o broody chickens into the brooder. They are sitting on pdz, no straw, no shavings, just nice cool sand, Enough I hope to cool them down some and break them from the boodiness they've been in since 3 weeks.

In those 3 weeks I got about 4 to 5 eggs a day from the remaining 14 chickens and was starting to think the remaining chickens all of a sudden all started to molt, but I didn't see any feathers being shed. Yesterday after I moved the broodies in the morning, I got 8 eggs. Coincidence? I don't know, but it is striking. We'll see how many we get today.

Question for all you folks who have dealt with broodies, how long should I keep them in the brooder? I was thinking 2 to 3 days or should I keep them in there until they lay an egg? Them being 2 y/o that might actually not be coming soon. But I don't know. What do you all think?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Broodies usually quit their job after they've raised their chicks for a few weeks. When the chicks are independent, the mom kinda rejects them and moves on with life.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Oh sorry, I should have clarified, they were not sitting on eggs. I have no adult roosters at this point in time and thus no fertile eggs, besides I didn't want to deal with another age group at this point in the game. So they've been hatching straw for the last 3 weeks and we've been collecting eggs from under them that they managed to steal from other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by