Update on "Chick foot growth"....and questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Apr 9, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Wanted to update and say that I think the vitamins are working with the chick foot growth that I posted a few days back. Thanks for the advice to supplement. I couldn't find anything with Biotin in it though...so I am using what I could find by Durvet.

Wanted to ask about the chicks stunted growth. She is much smaller than the other Buff Oprington that I have...her eyes are much smaller as you can see in the above photo. Her feathers are growing in much slower and she weighs less. Should I be concerned about this? Do you think she will turn out okay and lay eggs like the rest?

[​IMG]

Thanks.
    Jessica

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Wish I had more to say to help you...

but she looks like she has a dwarf gene. Not just because she is smaller, but the leg length compared to body ratio and the other physical differences.

There is a pic of a dwarf Marans at the bottom of this page, so you can get an idea of what I mean; http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I am glad to hear that the vitaminsmins are working.

4. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    So if for some reason she is a dwarf, will that affect her? Will it hurt her? Will she still produce the same amount of eggs? Will the eggs be smaller?

Thanks.
    Jessica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by