1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on "Chick foot growth"....and questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Apr 9, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Wanted to update and say that I think the vitamins are working with the chick foot growth that I posted a few days back. Thanks for the advice to supplement. I couldn't find anything with Biotin in it though...so I am using what I could find by Durvet.

Wanted to ask about the chicks stunted growth. She is much smaller than the other Buff Oprington that I have...her eyes are much smaller as you can see in the above photo. Her feathers are growing in much slower and she weighs less. Should I be concerned about this? Do you think she will turn out okay and lay eggs like the rest?

[​IMG]

Thanks.
    Jessica

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Wish I had more to say to help you...

but she looks like she has a dwarf gene. Not just because she is smaller, but the leg length compared to body ratio and the other physical differences.

There is a pic of a dwarf Marans at the bottom of this page, so you can get an idea of what I mean; http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I am glad to hear that the vitaminsmins are working.

4. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    So if for some reason she is a dwarf, will that affect her? Will it hurt her? Will she still produce the same amount of eggs? Will the eggs be smaller?

Thanks.
    Jessica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by