Update on chicks.. sad...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakeolsen2219, May 14, 2009.

1. jakeolsen2219

jakeolsen2219 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Pekin, il
    Well I introduced myself last week, and mentioned that I am a newbie starting with 3 red stars and a 3 cornish x rocks. Everything seemed to be going well until a couple of days ago. We had a cooler night, and being in the garage, I figured the chicks would be alright with their nice warm light. Well, the light did its job, but the chicks huddled together, and two of my red stars got trampled by the double-sized cornish-rocks. I went to feed them in the morning, and one was laying sprawled out dead, and the other just barely hanging on. My wife separated her out, and did what she could while I was at work but to no success. :-( Those red stars are such pretty little chicks, and those cornish-rocks are so big and mean! I am probably not going to attempt to raise those little guys with any other chicks again.

For my lone red star survivor, should I separate it? I realize that this is my fault because the chicks obviously got too cold, but I just want to know if the little lady is safe in there with the big guys.

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I would seperate her. Do you have any way of getting another chick to keep her company?

3. jakeolsen2219

May 8, 2009
    Pekin, il
    Maybe I could see what I could do?

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is there a feed store that sells chicks nearby? I would by a few more chicks to keep it company.

5. bubbazmommy

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I don't know where you are but if you are close to me I have a few chicks I could spare.

6. jakeolsen2219

May 8, 2009
    Pekin, il
    Quote:I really appreciate the kind gesture. I am in Illinois, but I don't want to seem like I am a newcomer asking for chicks. My local tractor supply is out, but I think there may be an organic vegetable, livestock, and chicken farm out of town, maybe I can give them a call tommorow, and see if they can help me out.

7. bubbazmommy

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    U r a bit far from me. [​IMG] Good luck.

8. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Jake,

What part of Illinois? Mine are probably too large for your's but our TSC had chicks a couple of weeks ago and probably still does.

9. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    I'm in south central wisconsin - I won't have any extra to spare until next Wednesday, but I do know of some people who do have some chicks. If you're interested you can email me and I can give you their information.

(Also, try craigslist for finding chicks - that's where I'm getting three more from on Saturday)

10. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    It's best to seperate your remaining Red Star and put her in with other Red Stars if your planning to get some more at the same age of your Red Star

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by