Update on coop progress.. Pics,. Advise?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nkgates, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Nkgates

Nkgates Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    I am starting to put the finishing touches on the inside of the coop.
    I haven't started on the run yet, but I wanted to post some picture of my
    Progress and see what you pros have to say.

My biggest concerns are ventilation and the floor (I'll elaborate later)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last picture is bad lighting but where the walls meet the roof overhang,
    There is a 3-4" gap all the way around for ventilation. Will this be enough?
    I got some 14x14" return grilles that I could install in the walls somewhere if need be.

As for the floor, we have had about a foot of snow melt in a three day period,
    And an evenings worth of torrential downpour to add to that. It's a swamp in here.
    No standing water, but you sink a good few inches in the muck.
    My plan was to use riverbed sand on top of the dirt floor. I'm going to try and use
    Enough to raise the grade about 4". Think that'll be good enough?
    It's not usually this wet back here.

Aside from that, just some pictures of my roost, watering system, and laying boxes.
    Planning on 4 hens.

Let me know what you think and where to improve. Thanks!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    In one of the pictures I can see daylight under the wall so I am assuming that there isn't concrete under the walls, right? If that is the case you want to secure it by either concrete or netting going 1 1/2 foot or more out on the ground outside for the entire shed. I say the entire shed because chicken wire is not predator proof and if something digs under the shed somewhere else to get in they can go threw the wire like a hot knife threw butter. The ground flooding concerns me regarding winter. If I were you I would dig 2-4 inches down and add gravel to bring it level then the amount of sand that you wanted above that, this would improve drainage. If the floor is wet in below freezing temps it can lead to frostbite. The vents are good but you may consider a window some other time because it will get hot in the summer (like locked in a car hot). Of course, you can avoid having to install a window by leaving the doors open and replacing the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth. (wayfair.com has the best prices even better then local and no shipping charges saving you another $87 on a 100 foot roll)

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    If you've got water seeping in and bogging your ground then I'd also consider some clever landscaping or figure out your run-off issues that's leading water into your shed and divert it with burms or whatever for long term prevention. Sometimes those angled eaves and soffits don't always let out the moisture or heat on gabled roofs. It sorta hangs at the peaks and I think folks that build coops with roofs that have one simple slant have better luck with venting and moisture issues. I guess I would also consider framing in a couple windows for happy chickens and cross ventilation. You could put vents up in the peaks too I guess.

I agree also with the need for predator proofing that bottom section.

4. Nkgates

Jan 27, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    Thanks. I had thought about gravel. Like I said, combination of a couple things
    Weather wise going in here right now. When the snow was still on the ground,
    The floor was dry. Our ground is not usually this oversaturated, but if it happened
    this time, It'll happen again. Since you mentioned it, I think that's what I'll do.

I was thinking I may put the 14x14 return grilles in the peaks. Worst case, I had
    Also considered wiring up an attic fan to pull moisture and heat out. They run
    On a thermostat and don't take too much to install. At $100+ I was going to
    Hold off unless all else fails. It's got a line of trees over it that keep direct sunlight
    Off the roof, which should help too.

Yeah, that one spot is open. My plan was to raise the ground level, but I'm
    Also going to bury hardware cloth around the outer perimeter. Also, that open
    Spot is inside the fenced in run area. I'm going to use
    Hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run, too. Thanks for the link!

As you can see, I have sectioned the shed in half. Half is mine, half is theirs.
    For a few reasons, I am hoping to keep the shed door closed.
    The plywood/chicken wire partition is to keep them in, not keep other animals
    Out necessarily. I would love windows at some point, but I'm thinking I'll just
    Hang a timered light in there for light.. On a typical day, chickens will hang out
    In the run during daylight if they're able, right? It is a little dim inside with the door
    Shut. Any idea for easy windows in corrugated steel?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Windows in corrugated steel..probably have to frame something up attached to the steel to mount the window in.

I'd cover the eave openings with 1/2" hardware cloth attached to the rafters and wall with screws/bolts and large washers.....gable vents sounds good.

I would assume you already know how hot it gets in there during the summer...go with that experience on how much more ventilation to add....might be different if you're in there more now that chicken are in there. Might just take some experience and observation and be ready to increase the ventilation if needed.

In my shed partially turned to coop, the heat was much more of a concern once I added chickens.

Ditto on addressing the runoff situation with landscaping and maybe guttering.

6. Nkgates

Jan 27, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    Gable vents it is then.. I'll be adding those 14x14 grilles up there for sure.

Gutters could definitely be added relatively easy. What kind of landscaping? Just shrubbery or something?

I've toyed with the idea of a small veggie garden , I could put that there along side the shed if it would help any...

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was thinking of functional landscaping rather than ascetic landscaping.....

What is the slope of the land around the coop?
    Is it contributing to movement of rainwater/snowmelt into the saturated area?
    Ditches and swales nearby, grading immediately adjacent to the building can all help divert water away from a building.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by