Update on egg I dropped yesterday......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smpezzi, Jul 10, 2008.

1. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    We just candled eggs from bator #1 which is batch #1 (from wildwoodchickens) 11 eggs to start with had 9 developing then one stopped developing [​IMG] Then yesterday I dropped one right after hand turning I was sooooo upset nearly cried, well I right away put candle wax on the crack [​IMG] and then tonight we candled and................................The waxed one moved [​IMG] [​IMG]!!!!!!!!! We saw movement in all 8 remaining eggs!!!!!!!!!

From Batch #2 ( 6 EE's from Harley's girl) we have 5 with definite veins and I swear I saw some movement in one of them the 6th one it is too hard to tell for certain if there are veins or not but I think there are [​IMG]

And from Batch #3 (from wildwood again 8 sent 2 completely destroyed) which apparently went through some terrible shipping no fault of anyone but the PO [​IMG] we have definite veins in 3 including one that was cracked then sealed with candle wax

All in all we are a HAPPY group over here [​IMG]

Sunday begins the waiting and no opening of bator #1 How will we ever survive [​IMG] LOL

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds great! What kind of wax did you use? I am sure I will drop something as I just started my first hatch today.....

Good hatching to you![​IMG]

3. smpezzi

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    I just lit my strawberry/rhubarb tealight from partylite (I ordered it from a friend trying to start selling partylite) cause it was the closest candle and dripped wax onto the egg then while it was still warm I gently pressed it down to hopefully make a good seal [​IMG]

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    That is such a cool idea. I never thought of that. Making mental note right now because I am sure I will need to do that at some point! Thanks for sharing!!! [​IMG]

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck with all the eggs. I sure hope the wax method works for you!! [​IMG]

6. smpezzi

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Quote:the only reason I thought to do it was because I read it on here [​IMG]

7. smpezzi

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Harley's girl :

Good luck with all the eggs. I sure hope the wax method works for you!! [​IMG]

Thanks I hope so too [​IMG]

I will keep you updated on the EEs too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by