Update on Eggs in Incubator (We have chicks))

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, Jan 22, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, the 8 eggs I got from Jaynie were under my broody and are on day 11 today. I candled them last night and only 2 had chicks in them. Darn PO, I swear I think they are zapping my boxes on purpose. Anyway, I had one in the bator that was put in at the same time as those, but is from my eggs but she could not take them all so I had it in the bator with my others. I moved it out there under her since it has an obvious chick inside. So she is on 2 of jaynies and 1 of mine. Well I candled the 8 that she had previously been on, which were swapped out and put in the bator once jaynies eggs came, and 6 of the 8 are chicks. And most of them had been in the fridge for a couple days. I go out this morning and I have another pullet that has gone broody and there are no eggs under her. I have a few that I have collected the last couple of days and put in the fridge, so I could take them and put under her. Or I could move the ones from the bator and put under her? I just don't know now. The ones in the bator are on day 14 today. They were under the pullet for 4 days and have been inside for 10. If I move the eggs to under the broody, they probably have a better chance since I always manage to kill my incubator eggs at the very end somehow. But I dont know if that can be done. Has anyone tried it? I could give her the 11 day eggs so she can sit longer and give the other pullet the 14 day eggs since she has already been sitting a while. Would any of you attempt it? I just want them to hatch and I feel a broody is better at it than me. What do you think?

Marie

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. GEORGE

GEORGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    crawfordsville
    WELL GOOD LUCK AND KEEP TRING !!!!!!!! I HAVE HAD THE WORSE LUCK THIS YEAR AND NOW I AM FINALLY GETTING THROUGH IT AND YOU WILL TOO SOO CHIN UP

3. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have had the worst luck too. And out of each set of eggs I would get a coulple or none. Except for my eggs which actually did very well even in the incubator, but I did have to help a couple out at the end. I think I have trouble with the humidity and my guage is wrong. So I just thought they would be better off under a pullet? But I dont know. It may be better to just put this weeks eggs from the fridge under her so that she starts from day one instead of day 14. I will have to decide today though. Just wondered if anyone had ever tried putting partially incubated eggs under a broody.

Marie

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well out of 5 of my own eggs I have 5 chicks. 1 of them is very weak and has not absorbed its yolk so I am not sure it will make it. I covered the area with a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out, is that something I should do or not? I did not want anyone picking at it either. He/she is still breathing but very weak. They are all blue except one splash. And one of the blue ones has a huge vault. It was very weak too but no yolk. But did not seem to be breathing well. I have to admit that I cleaned it's mouth and blew and compressed the chest and guess what, after a little rest it is up and running around now. I have a few more days on the ones under the first broody and then the second broody has a couple weeks yet. Will try to get pics uploaded tonight but if not by tomorrow.

Marie

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Marie, make sure you don't open the incubator. I have found that if I just add a little warm water through the vent plug hole. This last hatch I added water once and chicks had been hatched for two days. All hatched but one. By the third day when I opened to move chicks one last one was zipped nearly all the way around and so I opened him and poured him out to dry. I have noticed that they do better if I don't open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by