update on fat hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eraf, May 5, 2009.

1. eraf

eraf New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    I am sad to say that she died this morning. She stopped eating so I knew it was just a matter of time. Whatever the growth was it swelled up into her crop area and she was unable to keep anything down. I am at a loss. This is the second old hen I have had die like this. Does this happen in older hens or am I doing something wrong? ANy help would be appreciated.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I just read your other thread. 3 years old isn't that old. Is it possible that your chickens are obese and suffering congestive heart failure or organ damage? Are they maybe internal layers?

3. eraf

eraf New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    They have always been heavy layers. After the last molt they slowed down. These two stopped laying altogether right before the edema started. It did not seem to be fat but squishy like liquid. I figure edema of some sort. The first one I thought it was a tumor. Now I am not so sure. The other hens seem fine so far. How can you put an obese hen on a diet?

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:They may have been fat before the edema. If your hens need a diet, just give them layer pellets and no treats.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. eraf

eraf New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    How can you tell if they are fat for a hen?

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    With my hens I just feel and make a judgement call. Different breeds have different builds. Maybe someone else can chime in with a better method. What do you feed them? How many treats do they get? What breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by